News One of the worst things about smart homes reminded me why I'll never use an iPhone

Nov 11, 2023
The horror. A brand that protects users from their own ignorance or stupidity is the worst thing ever.

How did Tomsguide approve such a wreck less article to be posted?

The author provides some seriously horrific advice here and no his little disclaimer is not sufficient.

”Hey folks, let me tell you about the time I messed up and forgot why I should turn auto updates off but it was OK cause we can make use of honeypots for scammers, malware, identity thieves to get around it.

Your bank accounts might get cleaned out but it’s all worth it to see what your solar panels are doing”

Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DDMM
Nov 12, 2023
“Something annoying happened on Android and that’s why iPhones are terrible” has to be the strangest take ever. You’ve literally invented a complaint about iPhones when no iPhone had any involvement in your story and you have exactly zero evidence to say the same thing would have happened either way.

Tom Pritchard

Commendable
Apr 14, 2021
“Something annoying happened on Android and that’s why iPhones are terrible” has to be the strangest take ever. You’ve literally invented a complaint about iPhones when no iPhone had any involvement in your story and you have exactly zero evidence to say the same thing would have happened either way.
If you go back and read it again, you'll notice that this was never an Android problem - it's a smart home issue. But an Android exclusive feature was the reason I was able to get some resolution.

Nov 12, 2023
If you go back and read it again, you'll notice that this was never an Android problem - it's a smart home issue. But an Android exclusive feature was the reason I was able to get some resolution.
It’s not a smart home problem. It’s a problem with an app developer taking away a feature you liked. Not exclusive to smart homes. You’ve just literally taken an opportunity to bash a phone that you don’t use and don’t want to use when it had nothing to do with your story.

Your situation with Hive wouldn’t have happened on iPhone anyway, because HomeKit requires all devices to have local access and control. Look at what happened with Insteon last year. They shut down their cloud servers, effectively rendering all the hardware useless unless you use Apple HomeKit.

Also, sideloading is entirely possible on iPhone, and has been for years. Without jailbreak. I have Delta emulator side loaded on my 15 Pro via AltStore. It’s just not publicly waved around like on Android, and requires actually really wanting to do it. Stops a lot of people installing fake apps accidentally that way.