One projector bulb or two?

Colin Brough

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
After 6 years of faithful service, our church data projector bulb needs replaced. At £172 I'm quite comfortable getting one - but did wonder whether another 4-6 years down the line whether replacement parts will still be available... Worth getting a second while they are available? Or are other parts in the projector likely to wear out in that time, and we'd be looking at a new projector anyway?

The problem I see with getting a second bulb now is that if the second bulb is faulty, you won't know until 4-6 years down the line. True, you may be taking a chance and not having a bulb available in the future, but I would note that bulbs for my old projector (BenQ MP610) which went out of production back in 2007 are still available today (I've since upgraded).

-Wolf sends

Unless you are in a situation that requires you to replace the lamp quickly I would say you can wait. Even if the manufacturer stops making the lamp assembly you can just get a new bulb built into the old one. Save the old lamp assembly so when you are the end of the projected bulb life you can get it rebuilt and ready for use.