News OnePlus 8T killer feature will destroy Samsung Galaxy S20 FE

Oct 12, 2020
It's really difficult to credit a headline that asserts the S20FE being "destroyed" by anything based on... a power charging capability having a higher number than another charger.

The out of box charging reality is probably more on the order of 25W vs 15W.
The wireless charging reality is actually IDENTICAL because the supply side of wireless chargers is identical.

So, its more like "users who have the fancy 65W wired charger will appreciate faster charging than the other guy - for which they trade off software which is generally clunkier, a less vibrant ecosystem, far less aftermarket case and screen protector support".

I am actually a OnePlus fan and am looking forward to the 8T as a way to bring great tech to market in a way that has sane pricing and meets the needs of power users. I am especially happy that T-Mobile will be issuing it as a carrier supported model. That all said, I think the hyperbole of the headline is both misleading objectively and does a dis-service to the credibility of tom's guide when I look at the TG team's opinion about future mobile comparisons.

Reactions: mejustsayin
Oct 15, 2020
This is a real shocker of a review - as well as the Tom's Guide review of the Samsung S20 FA, which they absolutely skewered to such a degree I was left wondering about their angle in this. Based on these two reviews, Tom's Guide is providing seriously questionable advice to consumers.

Reactions: WayneAnderson
Oct 12, 2020
We now know that the tradeoff for the 65W charging in the 8T is... no wireless charging support at all... Which is a non-starter for me. I have a fast charger at my elbow on my office desk. I have one on my nightstand. Going back to fumbling with cable ends and such ... no thanks.

There are few times that I actually need the desperate "oh no I need 30% more juice while I shower" scenario.