Onkyo reciever problem via HDMI audio from Nvidia card

Avantiel

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013
OK. Recently got my Onkyo AV Reciever HT-R590. Its working great as a pass through to my TV from my Geforce GTX 570 via HDMI.

The problem im having. Its a 7.1 surround sound system i have set up. in the windows configuration, when i set the default audio device to 7.1 surround, when there is absolutely no sound coming from my PC for about 10 seconds. My receiver clicks and the 'HDMI' and 'PCM' icons on the reciever disappears.

Until i play some sort of sound from my PC, either music or whatnot, the receiver will click again and the HDMI and PCM icons will reappear, but with a delay to the actual output through the speakers, almost 2 seconds delay before I can actually hear sound.

Now, the thing that puzzles me, this does NOT happen, when the Onkyo reciever in windows is configured to "Stereo" and not the 7.1

It frustrates me cause it clicks alot and sometimes miss the beginning of the video or song that im trying to play. I have the latest drivers and everything else I can think of. Suggestions?

the default audio device should be set to your receiver and you should use the default settings. changing any settings within windows may cause problems. you mention that you have the latest drivers... i take it you mean gpu drivers.

i would also run your receiver in auto_surround mode.

it is normal for the receiver to say "stereo" when using windows but then switch to "pcm" or "dts" when playing a game or movie. it should switch when you start playing the game or movie. i've never heard of it switching before/after each sound.

Avantiel

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

I understand everything you've said. and yes, that is pretty much how my system is set up at the moment. But ive noticed the problem is happening even when the windows setting is changed to stereo as well now.

According to the receiver 'info' that i can check what kind of sound is coming into and out of the dev'ice. Once music is playing, the input would change to "HDMI 1, Multich PCM, 7.1 ch 44.1khz"

If the music stays paused for 10 seconds, OR if i exit the music program, immediately 1 second after, the HDMI and PCM icons on the reciever clicks off and the info on the reciever says "Analog Unknown Unknown"

What seems to be happening is that no signal is being sent and the reciever goes into some sort of standby mode, but the video continues to show so my problem is the delay it takes for the receiever to start back receiving the Input of sound.

the only work around i have for this. I downloaded a silent mp3 file with no sound. and i leave it playing in the background on repeat so the receiver would determine there is sound playing at all times

while it is completely normal for the receiver to switch from PCM or Dolby to Stereo when exiting a game or movie its not normal to do any switching when it just does not hear a sound for 10 seconds. i know i've paused movies for over 10 minutes and it stays in dolby digital.

honestly i'm not even sure where in windows you are changing from stereo to 7.1 as at least in windows 7 when connected up via hdmi there are no options to change this. unless of course you are on xp still or some other windows version. i would leave the settings on default though which should be your receivers defaults.

i'm definitely thinking there is an issue with the receiver. i'm not sure how to correct it though so i suggest speaking with onkyo tech support about it. that is definitely not normal.

DrJogalog

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
I have the same issue with sound from an nvidia card via HDMI and an Onkyo receiver. It did the same on XP and Win7 using the same hardware. Using a different computer with GMA graphics and optical does not have this issue on the same AV amp.

Did you ever resolve this?