Only certain sites work on chrome while none work on IE

liamcpfc

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
My internet recently went down and when it came back it was working on all the other laptops in my house however on mine it will say it will be connected to the internet, however very few sites are working, and the only sites I can gain access to is google search, facebook, and twitter, however what is weird is that if I was to type for example youtube.com into the url bar i would get a message saying the website took too long too load, yet if say for example I viewed a youtube video on twitter which had been embedded and then clicked the button which said 'view video at youtube.com' it would then take me to youtube and would allow me to use the website. This happens on google chrome, and on Internet Explorer none of the sites will work.

The system im using is windows 8 if that is of any help.

Help would be great thanks as i've tried numerous things and none of them have worked so far.

G

Follow this guide and "add a new user": https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2364824?hl=en. Try the same tasks you mentioned.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
Do you get any certificate errors? If so, make sure the date & time is set correctly on your PC. Is the firewall enabled on your laptop, and do you have antivirus running? I would disable windows firewall if it's enabled then try and see what happens

liamcpfc

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
No i dont get any certificate error, on google chrome the message i get is the website took too long to respond and on IE it just says that it is unable to connectto the internet. I orignally had mcafree but that has since expired and I believe that the windows firewall is activated but at times acafree has been intefering with the firewall and preventing it from being active at times