OpenGL Tutorials for Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
I've been programming on and off in my spare time for years now. I've made nothing spectacular, but have made a few small apps of relative use. I've always dreamed of created video games as well.

Now first things first. I don't expect to create any masterpieces or enormous games. I just want to learn enough to start fooling around with some stuff.

I primarily use Linux, so want to develop on/for it. I chose OpenGL primarily for this reason.

My problem is, I'm having troubles finding any sort of OpenGL tutorial that has Linux in mind. All of them seem to be Windows based and use Visual C++. I'm just looking for some suggestions, links, or books from people who (preferably) have some experience with OpenGL. Just need something to get me off the ground.

Thanks,

- Jesse

Solution
The OpenGL API itself is the same on all platforms, but the way you create windows and handle input is different unless you use something like GLUT. Using GLUT you can create apps that will compile and run on just about any OS that supports OpenGL. I used GLUT to get started quickly in OpenGL about 14 years ago.

PhilFrisbie

Distinguished
The OpenGL API itself is the same on all platforms, but the way you create windows and handle input is different unless you use something like GLUT. Using GLUT you can create apps that will compile and run on just about any OS that supports OpenGL. I used GLUT to get started quickly in OpenGL about 14 years ago.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.