Opera Browser Now on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
You people at Tom's are extremely stupid, Opera has been available on Android for at least 2 years, what was in Beta was Opera 14...do your damn homework!

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
You people at Tom's are extremely stupid, Opera has been available on Android for at least 2 years, what was in Beta was Opera 14...do your damn homework!

tenshin111

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Exactly, this is the first Opera browser build on WebKit/Chromium code. But the Presto versions have been available on Android for several years.

_deXter_

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I agree with Cy-Kill. This article basically misinterpreted the one at Phone Arena, although Phone Arena's title was a bit misleading as well.
In any case, Opera (in general) has been available on the Android since the beginning, and was one of the first third-party browsers. Not surprising, since their existing Opera Mini browser was already written in Java, and it didn't take much to port it over to Android. Opera Mobile came over a bit later and both browsers were doing quite well. This particular "Opera browser" is a completely different browser based on the new Webkit engine. The article at Phone Arena was basically saying that its finally out of beta and is now in the Market as a proper app.
To be fair to Nicolaas Du Plessis, for new users it can be a bit confusing with three different "Opera" browsers on the market all made by the same company, all with a similar interface but different engines underneath.
My guess is that after a few releases of the new "Opera browser", they will retire the "Opera Mobile" and "Opera Mini" versions, seeing as how they essentially combined the features of both. Also, I don't think Adobe Flash support is a big concern for them, since Adobe have officially quit the mobile space, so they won't be wasting any resources on it.
It's time for people to move on - leave behind the websites and browsers that still rely on Flash. Unless we users don't move on, web admins will be sitting on their arses laughing all the way to the e-bank while watching their users suffer due to the piece of shit Flash that is flash.

k1664

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Cy-Kill, are you sure that isn't Opera Mini you're referring to?
You seem very upset for what is likely to be your homework mix-up.

Zeta

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
OK so Opera has been in Android for a while, still not everyone has heard about in... does this mean the people behind Opera is going to sue Google like they did to Microsoft about IE domination or something long time ago when Windows was the only OS average joys knew about ???

prakalejas

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
Returned to 12.10 version and many people I know did the same. UI upgraded, but only visually, but functionaly it's crap. Tabs navigation was better, performance was better, older version didn't have discovery nonsense (you have pulse, currents and so on, no point to load it every time you check web page), start page was unique and now it's loaded with every new tab, exit button is hidden and visible only when you load some page, no flash player support (at least give us the option). Oh and stability issues came back.
Sorry, but overall this update sucks :-( (and this comes from die hard fan of opera mobile browser)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Wow this is quite old news I've been using Opera on Android for well over a year probably closer to 2.
I guess I have to wait another 2 years for a report that Chrome is on Android now, and same with Firefox huh.

Steve Van Loenen

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Opera was the first alternate browser available for Android. Opera mobile browser actually predates android. The first release of opera mobile was 2000 and then ported to windows mobile in 2004. The first android phone did not hit the market till 2008. Opera is actually quite the pioneer in mobile browsers and i believe was the first to offer tabbed browsing in a mobile device years before Google or Microsoft were able to.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
This update made me switch back to Dolphin. Holy crap the performance sucks! It takes forever to render text and images in the first place, and god help you if you change the zoom. Additionally, the menu structure is more of a pain (IMO). Maybe I will look into going back to version 12.10.

Zeta

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
OK so Opera has been in Android for a while, still not everyone has heard about in... does this mean the people behind Opera is going to sue Google like they did to Microsoft about IE domination or something long time ago when Windows was the only OS average joys knew about ???

Status
Not open for further replies.