Opera Using Secret Sauce for Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I doubt that Opera could catch on. It requires web servers sending out compressed data and not all websites would support it. even if they did, you will eventually see those features in firefox or IE.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I think that figure is made by percent of web traffic, not unique visitors, meaning FF users generally surf the web more.

G

so they're using a sort of winrar codec to view/compress data huh?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Websites won't have to adopt Turbo; the ISPs and carriers will. Chances are that, for phone carriers, there will be a strong incentive to do so, a platform where Opera is the dominant maker of Internet browsing software. For carriers that sell their service on a per-day or per-month basis, that effectively cuts their own costs for bandwidth spent by their clients. A similar thing might work with traditional ISPs, though given the sparse number of Opera users, (and the fact that people aren't going to browse on their Wii anywhere NEAR as much as they are on their PC) this may or may not come, and if it does, it'll likely be slower.

bf2142-rules-ok

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
OPERA is not winning any browser wars because it keeps introducing bugs in the multitude of upgrades it keeps releasing. I have used it for 7 years and introduced it as my browser of choice to many people, my 3 children have all now dumped it as they have had so many problems with a variety of websites. Don't talk to me about 'hotmail' , 1 minute it works then it doesn't , i now use firefox for that , it does have some great funtionality that the others browsers don't , but for christ sake Opera support , sort out the compability probs or i ditch you as well

Zomby

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Where does he take his browser usage numbers? Any reliable source will tell a different story. Please explain how you got to those numbers...

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Zomby[/nom]Where does he take his browser usage numbers? Any reliable source will tell a different story. Please explain how you got to those numbers...[/citation]
It's been covered in his threads before. He gets them from the w3Schools browser statistics page.
He seems to ignore this bit on the page, though:

"W3Schools is a website for people with an interest for web technologies. These people are more interested in using alternative browsers than the average user. The average user tends to use Internet Explorer, since it comes preinstalled with Windows. Most do not seek out other browsers.

These facts indicate that the browser figures above are not 100% realistic. Other web sites have statistics showing that Internet Explorer is used by at least 80% of the users."

crikey2

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Funny how IE stats are broken up by version and the Firefox stats aren't. But why stop there? Why not also break IE usage up by the service pack and whether its 32 or 64 bit version as well? That would eally make Firefox seem like the bandwagon of choice!

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I hate FF, web sites look cheap in that browser for some reason. Not sure if it's the font rendering or what, also it feels slower than IE. I guess IE loads with the OS, but still - IE feels snapier to me.

FF good alternative though, as web designer I wish there was only one browser (or one rendering engine) so we didn't have to test web sites out in so many browsers and versions. The browser people should get together and agree on a common rendering engine, and then build a skin with various features on top of that common, shared base. This would still allow innovation and choice, but keep the web consistent and look great for everyone!

wiseadam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I used to use Opera and I liked it, it has always been the fastest page loading browser. I have the newest version installed and I love the skins and the interface, and it's still faster at loading pages than both IE and firefox. I like IE for the simple fact that it always works, if I have issues in firefox or opera with compatibility it always works in IE. Pages do sometimes look "cheap" in FF, they look nicer in Opera, but don't always work right. I'm all for speed, and if a simple compression at the carrier level helps throw a page up on my side faster.....prove it, then I'm all for it.

wiseadam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
Innovation is foward progress, and innovation from the lower percentage end of the "browser war", is good competition. Only reason IE wins is because it's installed by default and 90% of normal PC users don't even know there's another option...If Opera and Firefox came standard on a windows install, with the option for which one to make default, then maybe all three would be more compatible with the world wide web.

G

The other browsers have all...ahem...borrowed their features from Opera. But even with all their ingenuity Opera can't seem to get it right. Mozilla is mediocre in many ways but doesn't seem to suffer as many show stopping quirks as Opera (think Gmail). I personally use only Opera and with a little tuning it is far above the others. Yet anytime a non-technical friend asks me which browser to use I tell them IE7/8 or Mozilla.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
Funny how IE stats are broken up by version and the Firefox stats aren't.

Perhaps that is because a webpage that was designed to work correctly in IE6 before IE7 came out has a decent probability of working incorrectly in IE7. (assuming no update to the webpage)
A webpage that was designed to work correctly in FF2 before FF3 came out will most likely still work in FF3. (assuming no update to the webpage)

Internal webpages at my company see this issue a lot as they aren't constantly updated to the latest version of IE. I've been told that some that were updated use different code paths in certain pages depending on which version of IE you use.

Status
Not open for further replies.