Opinion: 5 Letdowns of the New iPad - Is It Good Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I still find it remarkable that as much as people were deriding the first iPad (including comparisons of the name to special women's products), we're now on the 3rd generation of this device after the previous 2 iterations have shipped an estimated 25 million units.

Apple must be doing something right :)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
In terms of storage the op forgot to mention the fact that it has no expansion card support. [citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]The lack of removable storage and the locked down application support turns me off besides the high cost of an iPad.[/citation]
That.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Actually a very good article, fair and accurate.

That being said:

Layered 3D - Gimmick
Quad Core - Not necessarily faster
Cheap iPad 2 - Not relevant

Playing catchup? Even the iPad 2 hasn't been caught up with yet.

5 Megapixel Camera, and Storage - I agree with - could be improved. Also hoped for some kind of surprise.

Bottom line though it's by far the most advanced tablet at the mo.

G

You forgot to mention the more obvious part - the battery is nearly twice as big for the same battery life. That to me is kind of a step backwards. The display and the quadcore graphics don't sound very impressive anymore.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The display is admittedly nice. That is heck of a resolution for any device, not just portable devices. But, the overall impression in this presentation was just like that of iPhone4S; focus on hardware and not some cutting-edge design, feature or creation.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Good article, but I'm also not impressed with this new iPad. Granted, I'm a little biased against Apple considering everything, but the only things going for it are it's display and processors. Those are very important, but not everything. I have to agree with author, it still leaves disappointments. However, I may never understand why these tablets can't get multiple MicroSD card ports so you could really fill them up on storage capacity. It wouldn't take a lot of space, it should be considered by someone.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]BatteryLife[/nom]You forgot to mention the more obvious part - the battery is nearly twice as big for the same battery life. That to me is kind of a step backwards. The display and the quadcore graphics don't sound very impressive anymore.[/citation]

How is that a step backwards. Better graphics capabilities, High PPI/resolution display, LTE. All this takes power. Sure the consumption is slightly higher with this new hardware and instead of release a product that had all these great new capabilities but trade off battery life. They engineered a better battery in it so they would not have to make that sacrifice. They put all this in a form factor that was only slightly thicker than it's predecessor.

Personally I hate trade offs and allot of manufacturers do just that. Apple didn't.

atomrend

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I think having a rear camera on a tablet is the wrong idea. Since most people are still carrying around their phone along with a tablet, they can use the phone for that. A front-facing camera could be useful for video conferencing, but I'd never use it for that. I'd prefer the manufacturers to leave all camera's off and lower the price. Expandable storage would be nice too.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]obsama1[/nom]True. The Prime is still the best tab out right now.[/citation]

I believed the hype of the Transformer Prime, but unlike most that praise it, I've had a lot experience with that particular tablet...and, for me, it wasn't all good. I'm liking the new iPad but then again, I'm somewhat of an anomaly here...I'm not anti-Apple. However, the new announcement didn't really leave me disliking my iPad 2.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It's just an evolutionary step. Get over it. Was anyone really expecting a 3D display?

The only bad thing about the iPad 3 is the higher weight. Apart from that it's exactly what people expected.
The good display and the large selection of software are going to be more than enough for most consumers.

[citation][nom]atomrend[/nom]I think having a rear camera on a tablet is the wrong idea. Since most people are still carrying around their phone along with a tablet, they can use the phone for that. A front-facing camera could be useful for video conferencing, but I'd never use it for that. I'd prefer the manufacturers to leave all camera's off and lower the price. Expandable storage would be nice too.[/citation]

Thank you!
I just can't understand people who want a camera on a tablet. You look like a complete idiot when taking pictures with a tablet.
I've never once used the camera on my tablet.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I don't understand why any tablet has such a low capacity for storage. It's so cheap and small to put a lot more storage in a device, it just blows my mind no one has stepped up in that area yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.