Opinion: How Kindle Fire Could Validate Apple's iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Looks like Amazon has a very refined device on their hand. Looks to be design specifically for media consumption which overlaps with some of the IPad's capabilities but does not completely compete with IPad. Basically, they found their space and will probably be very successful.

Very nice

G

You really don't know anything about amazon or apple. Please stop making these dumb articles.

joey532

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Apple has a great app store, universal compatibility , and a big user base. Android has a great custom experience, better hardware, and a great mod community.

WINNER: DARK SOULS

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
The ipad got where it is for 2 reasons. 1 it is a very good device. and 2 most importantly, the android tablet makers lost their chance to get in in time and when they did they thought they could charge a fortune for a device hoping apple haters would jump on the band wagon.

Only until Asus and Acer came out with their tablets and priced them at levels that made them competetive to Apple, did the android tablets become feasible. Unfortunately, the ipad2 came out a couple months before them and many people who where waiting to buy a decent android tablet got frustrated and bought an Ipad2.

Maybe the kindle fire could get people wanting to buy android tablets for a change.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
While I don't like to spend much time listening to this journalists ideas, as it's very warped from reality, I do believe the Kinkdle Fire will succeed. I base this on its primary purpose. It's designed to read books, or at least, that what most people will think of when buying one. Tablets are perfect for this purpose. I don't personally believe they have a lot of advantages for most people, but reading a book is one that it would shine at, as long as the battery life is good.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Amazon could have invested more money in a retina touch screen display that could have turned the Fire into an amazing color ebook reader. The retail price may have jumped to $249, but the feature certainly would have been worth the extra cost.
And omit a whole new segment of the market? you really don't know anything. the resolution [1020x600] is exactly what the NOOK offers, and that's the same price segment they're aiming for. they aren't trying to conform to your needs, but more of EVERYONE's needs. besides, an IPS display is MORE than enough at that resolution. very impressive for that price. it may very well eat away at ipad sales.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
My only concern with the Fire is the small screen, which makes this device almost exclusively media-consumptive. At 10", the iPad can at least pretend to get a little work done, especially with an external physical keyboard. In essence, this will be exclusively a toy instead of mostly a toy with the excuse of maybe getting some work done on it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]My only concern with the Fire is the small screen, which makes this device almost exclusively media-consumptive. At 10", the iPad can at least pretend to get a little work done, especially with an external physical keyboard. In essence, this will be exclusively a toy instead of mostly a toy with the excuse of maybe getting some work done on it.[/citation]
well we'll probably see a more impressive bigger brother [kindle fire dx?] in 3 months, hopefully it's not more than $100 on top of this one

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I do think they really needed to include a front facing camera for a complete tablet experience. Not for pictures, only for video chat. They could have worked with Skype to have the app already installed and ready to go upon launch.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
What's with all these idiots trying to analyse why the ipad dominates the tablet market? It's so simple I'm constantly tearing my hair out at the absurdity of opinion articles like this one all over the net. The ipad is so popular because it's apple. People never ask why shoes that are as good as Nikes don't sell as much as Nikes, because everyone knows it's a brand thing. Why is this so hard to understand?

Also, customers of regular tablets are very considered about the technology they buy. Apple customers are not. If there is a new Apple device they will buy it. Must I cite the research showing Apple-user brain activity is comparable to religious ferver?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joey532[/nom]Apple has a great app store, universal compatibility , and a big user base. [/citation]
Amazon's own store has music, movies and TV shows that are just as numerous and cheaper and the Android apps are evenly matched with Apple.

Universal compatability - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Big user base - Since when has the ability to convince large numbers of people to pay over the odds for inferior hardware considered a plus point for anyone other than Steve Jobs or Apple stock holders?

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
BRAINWASH the consumers to think that your product is good (or at least better than the competitors')...

Both are big companies.
Both companies' names start with 'A'.
Both released crappy devices at first.
Both took more than a couple of devices to make a better one.

Too bad Apple would probably release a 7" iMiniPad, iScratchPad, iPhotoFrame or iRetardblet and wipe out the competition, invalidating the vali... whatever. End of the useless comment.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]chomlee[/nom]The ipad got where it is for 2 reasons. 1 it is a very good device. and 2 most importantly, the android tablet makers lost their chance to get in in time and when they did they thought they could charge a fortune for a device hoping apple haters would jump on the band wagon. Only until Asus and Acer came out with their tablets and priced them at levels that made them competetive to Apple, did the android tablets become feasible. Unfortunately, the ipad2 came out a couple months before them and many people who where waiting to buy a decent android tablet got frustrated and bought an Ipad2.Maybe the kindle fire could get people wanting to buy android tablets for a change.[/citation]

The iPad got where it is because it has a strong following of people with enough disposable income to buy something they don't need badly for several hundred dollars. It really has nothing to do with being revolutionary or a "better product". Android buyers are the type of people who rationalize a purchase and can't justify spending that much for what the device offers. Devices that are priced lower but might not be on equal hardware or might take extra work to bring full functionality out of are what they're looking for. They want the better value. HP Touchpad's price drop showed this to the manufacturers, so this might be the direction many non-Apple tablets go in. They made a mistake thinking they could compete at Apple's price range when there was plenty of room to compete in the lower price range.

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]My only concern with the Fire is the small screen, which makes this device almost exclusively media-consumptive. At 10", the iPad can at least pretend to get a little work done, especially with an external physical keyboard. In essence, this will be exclusively a toy instead of mostly a toy with the excuse of maybe getting some work done on it.[/citation]

They're going to release a 10 inch version of the Fire next year.

Ultimately, it comes down to understanding and getting a device which has the hardware you need. If you don't mind squinting, don't pay for a 10 inch screen. If you don't use video chat on the go, who cares about a front facing camera?. If you don't use map apps or other location sensitive features, you don't really need GPS. Google maps can sort of figure directions and location based on wifi anyway. If you don't want to use the device far away from WiFi areas and don't mind some loss of security, you don't need 3G. You're leashing yourself to a cell company with 3G anyway and will be bandwidth capped on it. These other companies can take advantage of the fact Apple prefers to tell it's customers what they need and instead give customers different options to fit their needs.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
iPad2 could be flashy - I think it's mostly useless for a price, it's a flashy digital frame.. but it's my opinion.
Amazon Fire seem interresting with an interresting price.
200$ VS 600$... it's a no brainer.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
The Kindle Fire creates a solid $200 statement against the $500-600 high performers. Now there is a $300-400 gap to be smartly filled. I think the price will come down on high end tablets.

If Amazon can sale an important quantity of Kindle Fires (and I think they will) this may produce a value change on even higher end 10' (consumer) tablets. Even if it is not competing directly to the 9-10' iPad and Galaxy tablets the Fire will accentuate the price scale differences on all the tablet business.

Now is more than notorious that when the next quad-core tablets will be ready many consumers wont even need the bigger performance a quad-core and 10' 300 dpi display will produce at the price they will be. What Apple, Samsung and others will do? Abandon completely the more basic, lets say dual-core market? And now there will be a huge $200-600 price conscious consumers wanting to fill the $400 gap with different options.

With the Kindle Fire there is a solid $200 tablet to start considering your options. How many users will only need/afford to consume media on a smaller simpler tablet and buy from Amazon versus those wanting a more robust tablet to replace their very simple PC requirements? The Fire is this device that will test those 2 big different needs and it creates a considerable $400 price contrast against the solid performers on the $500-600 segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.