Opinion on the razer tiamat 7.1?

shiftyape

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
i have been looking into getting a razer tiamat. but from what ive heard, the sound quality is horrible. the tiamat is a ture 7.1 surround sound headset, so im guessing it has to sacrafice some audio quality for the surround. can anyone reccomend/decommend this product? or, if you cant, can you push me in the direction of a nice headset? 200 dollar max. will be gaming and listening to music mainly.
ps: what games do you know of that actually have 7.1 audio?

Solution
I have the Tiamat 7.1 and it is great for games (a slight step up over G35 virtual dolby surround for games) but pretty crappy for any real music listening.
A few top games have 5.1/7.1 in their audio presets (more and more) . AFAIK, any DirectSound3D should be properly positioned in 7.1 if set in windows sound control panel and driver applet.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Having true surround sound in a headset is useless since the drivers are so close to your ears. It is better to have one driver per ear with virtual surround, if you choose to use surround sound at all.

If you have the money, I would try to go for a Sennheiser headset. You can probably find the PC360 or PC350 on Amazon for less than $200. If you get the PC350, then a headphone amp is required. A headphone amp isn't required, but is recommended for the PC360's. The ASUS Xonar DGX sound card has a headphone amp capable of up to 150 ohms.

I'm currently using my Sennheiser PC360's with an ASUS Xonar DGX and it seems to be a good setup.

gpkgpk

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I have the Tiamat 7.1 and it is great for games (a slight step up over G35 virtual dolby surround for games) but pretty crappy for any real music listening.
A few top games have 5.1/7.1 in their audio presets (more and more) . AFAIK, any DirectSound3D should be properly positioned in 7.1 if set in windows sound control panel and driver applet.

Solution