Opinions? Shortlist = ASUS, Samsung, Toshiba

sierraguy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
So my short list has been narrowed down to the
Asus U46E-BAL5
Samsung QX411-W01
Toshiba P745 - 54217

I dropped the Lenovo V570 - I needed more compact unit and the 10 key was a waste! Only bummer is I can buy
Lenovo direct with good pricing on what seems to be good extended warranties.

Any input? Own one of these? Experience with one of these? Servicing them? Support by mfgr? I'm buying before the weekend is over. Hopefully I can find elsewhere other than BBuy.

Extended warranty recommendations? Its for grad school so an extended warranty is needed... Extended warranty isn't available except through sellers. BBuy, etc. If I can find the ASUS u46e at an online reseller, I could get the accidental and 360 warranty. I'm going to rely on machine quality and the warranty matching from my Amex Card. i.e. 1yr mfgr warranty is matched by Amex so its a 2 year.

Generic Specs: i5-2410M
14" screen
640-750gb IDE HDD (5400 rpm) --> not happy about slow drive speed
USB 2.0 and 3.0

Specs are very similar except
Asus U46e $729
running an extra 2gb RAM (8gb)
But runs Intel HD 3000 graphics
8 cell L-Ion battery - rated at 6+ hours
Intel WiDi
Samsung QX411-W01- $749
has the NVidia N12p-GV (GeForce GTG 520M?) at 512mb (Optimus based at Bestbuy)
AND Intel 3000 graphics
But only 6gb
Intel WiDi
Lithium-polymer battery -
not removable without opening case.
Makes me weary of battery life.
Rated 8+ hours
Funky touch pad w/o buttons. Can right click anywhere to right of pad...
Takes getting used to and only thing really rated as a Con on most reviews.
Toshiba P745- $699
6gb and Intel HD 3000 graphics
Intel WiDi
only 6 cell L-ion battery rated 5+ hours, my experience with 6 cell is 3-4 hours max.
BluRay drive which I will never use

All are at Bestbuy which I'd rather not shop at but you have to go where the product is.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Asus advantage is the accidental warranty which is nice. Also, the shipping for RMA is covered both way... but they really sux on the hardware side. They can release a lemon out of the factory and close their eyes on the obvious bad reliability (G73JH-A1). They did the same with their EAH48XX cards which were absolutely horrible. If it is not a motherboard, I would stay away from Asus as far as possible, especially for laptops.

Toshiba is not really well either for customer support, so I will tend with Samsung. They got IMO a better quality control.

sierraguy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
That level of ASUS support is available IF you can find the model you want from an online reseller who sells ASUS warranties with their laptops. None of the brick & mortor shops i have found, to sell the U46e, sell ASUS warranties. And most who sell ASUS have their own extended plans to hock... Many resellers don't participate in the 360 or ADP programs and only include a basic limited warranty with their ASUS products. Even ASUS says their "extended warranty" will become a 1 year "limited warranty" extension.

Poor service I say. Many prominent laptop manufacturers will gladly sell a decent extended warranty on their product.

sierraguy

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
ANY other personal experience with either the laptops listed below or the manufacturers that I can use to make my decision. I don't make purchases such as these without a thorough gathering of facts and relevant user experience.