Optimal configuration for a graphic designer laptop

Walid_5

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017
Hi everyone.
I'm a freelance graphic designer and photographer. I'v been using since 2006 a Sony Vaio 15" i3 8gb ddr3 amd5000 as my main laptop for work.
It shows its age now and need to replaced with something more optimized to 2017 softwares and work.
I won't ask for a specific model cause I'm limited to what is available in my contry, but I'm asking for your help for the optimal configuration to have smooth workflow and good results.
I'm mainly using Adobe cc suite ( illustrator, photoshop, lightroom and casual use of premiere and aftereffects for FHD home video)
I don't want to waste a lot of money on high end gaming laptop where I maybe don't need all its performance for my type of use.
So mainly what type of processor, ram, display, graphic card and Hard drive should I look after when choosing a laptop.
Thank you.

Solution
As much RAM as possible. 32GB would be good. A SSD rather than an HDD would be good if you can get 500GB or more. Use USB3 external drives (multiple) for your work and for the backups (yes multiple) of your work. If you make money off of something you should have three unique copies on three separate devices. One of which is powered off so that if you run into cryto locker malware that disk is safe.

kanewolf

Judicious
As much RAM as possible. 32GB would be good. A SSD rather than an HDD would be good if you can get 500GB or more. Use USB3 external drives (multiple) for your work and for the backups (yes multiple) of your work. If you make money off of something you should have three unique copies on three separate devices. One of which is powered off so that if you run into cryto locker malware that disk is safe.

Solution

Walid_5

Prominent
Jul 30, 2017

Thank you for the replay.
how about other components:
- Processor: is i5 good enough or should consider i7
- Graphic Card: do I need a dedicated graphic card, if so what reference is good enough for my type of work, I'm not a gamer.
- Display: 13" - 17" ? which to choose. FHD or 4K.?