OS on SSD or HDD for a gamer

cycomantis

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015
I recently purchased an SSD upgrade for my laptop that I use for gaming. I already know which games etc I want on the SSD vs the HDD but what I'm having a hard time with is deciding if I should load the OS on the SSD or not.

The main place that I'm looking for the performance increase is with the games, what I'm curious about is am I going to see less performance increase with the games on the SSD if I leave the OS on my HDD?

Brillis Wuce

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Put your OS on your SSD. Comparing overall performance within an OS on an SSD versus an HDD is night and day, and you'll see zero bog-down in your games.

How big is the SSD?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hate to tell you this... but SSD's do not... I repeat... do NOT give you any performance boost in games. They just give you faster program startup times and data transfer rates... It's a waste to have an SSD and not have your OS on it.

cycomantis

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015

It is a 256GB so there should be plenty of space for the OS and the couple key games I want on the SSD.

cycomantis

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015

That's incorrect, if your running a game with a lot of read/write then you will see a performance boost. Mainly on open world games which I tend to play a lot of.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Actually, you are incorrect. You will only see faster load time in levels... but in actual performance in games or FPS... NOPE!

Brillis Wuce

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Nice. I have the same size SSD, and I can actually put a lot of games on there. I've even gotten my capacity down to about 40GB, and have had zero performance decrease. Just don't fill it up past 85% or so.

ASK THE COMMUNITY