Outputting Audio from Movies being Played from NAS on SmartTV to Harmon AVR

michael63x

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
I connected my QNAP TS-251+ NAS (which contains movie files) to my LAN. I also connected my Samsung SmartTV to my LAN. Thus, I am able to pick and choose movies from my NAS to play on my Samsung SmartTV using TwonkyServer.

The Samsung SmartTV is also connected to a Harmon AVR (which plays sound on my speakers for my cable TV, XBox, and Netflix).

However, I'm unable to figure out how to get the SOUND from a movie being played from my NAS and displayed on my SamsungTV to output to my AVR (so that I can hear the sound through my speakers).

I see the sound options on my Samsung SmartTV but there is no sound audible when I choose the AVR speaker option or the optical option (I tried to connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR directly).

Can someone help?

Solution
Since you are getting sound on your other sources the hookup would be fine.
Are the audio codecs on the files compatible with digital output of the TV? Usually you can't output lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. Are the codecs compatible with the receiver?
Some TVs just don't output audio from "smart" functions. Not too smart. Check the TV manual. Probably says that somewhere in the fine print.
Since you are getting sound on your other sources the hookup would be fine.
Are the audio codecs on the files compatible with digital output of the TV? Usually you can't output lossless audio such as Dolby TrueHD. Are the codecs compatible with the receiver?
Some TVs just don't output audio from "smart" functions. Not too smart. Check the TV manual. Probably says that somewhere in the fine print.

Solution