Outputting Win 7 audio to speakers and projector - bloody nightmare!

Fluid Mantis

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
In my lounge in have my PC with Creative speakers. In my cinema room I have my Optoma projector. Keep in mind that the projector works fine with my Xbox 360, Raspberry Pi, even a Windows 7 laptop and probably everything else you throw at it... except my desktop computer. Previously I was using an Nvidia graphics card, which I read some people had HDMI audio problems with. To achieve the video/audio split, I used a 1-input/2-output HDMI splitter. This worked perfectly for video, but using the PC in the cinema room was pointless without audio. In the lounge, my PC is connected to the speakers with line out, of course.

Due to the graphics card complaints, I decided to splash out on an AMD graphics card... nothing changed. Only recently I read that Windows is still incapable of outputting audio to two devices at once. Meaning that using line out and HDMI for audio would never work, I assume? So, I think the only option left for me is a way to split the 2.5 line out audio cable to two audio outputs. But how can I do this? I want to do this without any quality drops.

Thanks.

Fluid Mantis

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Thanks for the reply. I should have been clearer about the 2.5 part. I was actually referring to a 2.5mm headphone jack. I'm stupid when it comes to audio, but I was wondering how I can convert a 2.5mm cable to an RCA cable. I'd need to do this at both ends since my speakers only accept a 2.5mm input, and my PC only does a 2.5mm output too. This amplifier seems good. Will the clarity be impaired?

Actually, I could settle for a cheaper option. Come to think of it, it's not necessary that the two audio players be on at the same time. A switch of some kind to switch between the speakers and the projector would work well. I don't know anything about Toslink, but I think something like this with 2.5mm audio cables would be an ideal solution, especially since no change is made to the output quality: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Toslink-Digital-Optical-SPDIF-Audio-1x2-Splitter-2x1-Switch-Adaptor-/261279377940?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cd576ea14