Over Half of Adults Play Video Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would guess older people play games on computers because they already own the machine for other purposers, mostly work related. It's easy to own a computer for legitamate purposes, then be introduced to an addicting flash game that you can't stop playing. I can't imagine older people buy computers with the intent of playing games on them.

Even though I'm in my 20's, that's why I don't own a modern console (my old GameCube sees limited game play). I already own the computer, and can choose to play games on it if I want. Owning a dedicated gaming system doesn't serve much purpose if I go a month without playing any games, but my computer is always useful (TV, Internet, Work). And no, the web browser in a console doesn't count, again, I ALREADY own the computer.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
hellwig, the same thing was about to say. :D
i've owned consoles before but the last is an xbox, a computer is much useful. work, information, play and entertainment are all here. games in PC's range from very simple to very complicated, costs free to monthly subscriptions.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"According to Pew’s survey, only 31 percent of parents with teens play video games with their kids? Why? Pew did not offer an explanation, however it’s likely that those parents are playing those big-budget M-rated titles."
I have another theory. I'm no teenager anymore, but I once was. At that time my dad would occassionally play nascar with us (with a serial link, 90s remember), but mostly lose. Since then he's evolved to playing single player strategy and his usual card games, while my mom stopped playing pinball games with her sister, and went on to those online puzzles and sudokus etc. So at no point have they actually been interested in playing the same games me and my brother would play. We do still play dr. drago's madcap chase with my mom, or some other game now and then - but for the most part, my parents simply prefer to play games that require more brain work and less physical effort, while we prefer fast paced car games and big online things. So I think the 31% of parents who play games with their kids is a nice feat really, cause it ain't easy finding something that all enjoy. Had bluebyte never invented dr drago, my parents wouldn't have played any games with us.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
"According to this Associated Press article posted over on Yahoo, the Pew Internet& American Life Project conducted a survey with 2, 054 U. S. adults late last year and discovered that one in five actually play games on a regular basis."

How does one in five equal 50%? Also, I don't think a survey of 2,000 people can accurately represent the entire country.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
@techtre2003

I'm not certain but I think the key there was the regular basis part. Like maybe they had choices like "never" "every now and then" or "regular basis". These surveys try to find results for so many criteria that it seems to fit.

Also, these groups work real hard to find diverse and representative sampling groups. If they were working at 100% and had one person for each sampling category...we'd have to think up more than 2,000 sampling groups to be able to say they missed some. Heck, I'd have a hard time thinking up just 400 different types or groups of people and at that rate the survey would have 5 people from each!

In other news, this quote from above is great, "The young adults surveyed were between 18 and 29, with 81 percent of that group admitting to playing games".

They've got it so its like drugs now...and we 'admit' to it.

NO NO! Thats not my Gears of War! I'm holding it for a friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.