overclocked nvidia 8600M GS temperature

pravin_babar_01

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hello all. my laptop is hp pavillion dv9500t with the config :

HP Pavilion dv9500t CTO NB
- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 511MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
- Webcam + Microphone
- Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
- 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW
- High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

it came with vista, but i slipstreamed the sata drivers on xp setup and installed xp on it. hp doesnt give drivers for this model with xp. i have installed 169.04 drivers from laptopvideo2go.com

the current clock speeds which i have set are :
Core 592 mhz
memory 456 mhz
shader 1254 mhz

my 3d mark 06 score is 3157
and i get above 30 fps in unreal tournament 3 at 1024 X 768 resolution with max settings.

so, firstly , is the performance of my card low than it should be ?

secondly, the temperature which i saw using atitool is above 95 degrees while playing. is this too high ? should i lower the clock rates ? should i put some other drivers ? what should be the maximum temperature ??

third, i usually keep my laptop on a table and use it, but recently ive started to sit on my bed with laptop in my lap and a pillow under it to pad myself from the heat. does this cause additional heating ??? should i play games only on the table, or should i operate my laptop only on the table ???

please help. thank you in advance

j_saade25

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
When overclocking a card (this card, because I have it), u must first try undervolting it at stock clocks, which was successful here, u get a 10'C temp decrease when full load.
After you have done so, you increase your clocks to the max stable, your temps will not increase too much, and your card will be safe.

My results were:

Stock: 1.32V, GPU: 500, Mem: 400, Shader: 1000

Overclocks:
At 1,32V: GPU:650, Mem: 480, Shader: 1400 <--- reached 105'C under full load.
At 1.15V: GPU:630, Mem: 480, Shader: 1400 <--- 10'C decrease in temps, all stable.

Undervolting requires a BIOS mod. Use the latest version of NiBitor.
And do your best to keep a good airflow under the laptop.

Julien.

frozenlead

Distinguished
j_saade25 - you didn't say what that GPU and notebook were to begin with. Just numbers aren't impressive.

While you certainly can undervolt if you want to try a BIOS mod, OP, you really don't need to. 95C is normal on load for a notebook card. (While it's really really high...it's normal.) Make sure you keep your heatsinks and fans clean and free of dust - that stuff can really damage your hardware down the road.

My cousin has the same notebook you do, OP, and he gets about the same - perhaps a hair better.