Overclocking 7660G and 7670M, and 6620G

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chad2625

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Im posting this I hope in the right thread, its overclocking a laptop so I guess its a coin flip. Also this information might be a repost but I searched for a guide or how to on stuff like this and never found it.

Changing Clock Frequencies and Voltages at your own risk! Doing so will most likely void your warranty. Replacement parts for laptops are insanely expensive. You run the risk of ruining your laptop by overclocking and over volting your laptop.
This is a multi-part guide thing, one is how to overclock new AMD Trinity based GPU’s, with dedicated cards in dual graphic setups. Part two is to overclock llano based GPU’s. Then I will cover how to maximize performance of these two processors, and I hint at overclocking Llano based CPU’s but I’m sure there are guides on how to do this. I overclocked the Hell out of the 7670M using MSI after Burner and The 7660G. I will explain how to overclock Llano Based Video cards like the 6620G. Then I will explain how to optimize the performance of the CPU.
Here is what I did for new Trinity Setup
1) Install Catalyst 12.9 Beta Drivers. (this works because trinity drivers as far as I can tell are vendor specific unless you download the complete package. Google search catalyst 12.9 beta drivers as the AutoDetect through Amd’s web site won’t work!)
2) Install AMD overDrive
3) Install AMD PS Check newest version 3.4.1.277
4) Install MSI Afterburner
5) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\ then open MSIafterburner.cfg in note pad then look for UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0 under [ATIADLHAL]. Change the 0 to 1, save and close.
6) Open MSI Afterburner and now you should be able to overclock the discrete video card
7) Now open AMD Overdrive, go to the clock and voltage tabs. You will now notice there is a GPU clock tab and it allows you to change the IGP (in my case the 7660G). I don’t think that it was anything we changed, it’s now available to overclock
8) I noticed that I get more better video performance when I crank the NBVID up until it turns red for me 1.114) Apply and ok.
9) The last step is to use AMD PS Check to set the voltage and remove all but the P0 setting. To do this go to file->settings when the windows opens go to the CPU settings tab and select all. Next go to the PState Configuration.
10) Uncheck Enable for all but PState P0, PState Pb1 and PState Pb0.
11) Change CPUVid to one or two settings at a time. Or you can cheat and look at what AMD over Drive and see what CPUvoltage goes to until it turns red, and use that setting. The first method is preferred, I’m sure that you could go higher than what Overdrive says is say, but I wouldn't, I also did not notice any performance increase in doing so.
12) You can make different profiles by saving, your Pstate Configuration, so you can change between high performance and regular modes easily.
As far as I can tell it, is impossible to overclock the Trinity CPU but increasing the CPU voltage increases CPU performance, and increasing the NB VID increases video performance. Do not try to use PS Check to do this as it makes my laptop unstable. If you feel bold and find different results please post them
As far as overclocking the IGP through AMD Over drive you might be able to overclock it stably very high (1.3 GHZ in my case), but I only see a performance increase from 685 MHZ to 720 MHZ.
Over clocking the 7670M though MSI Afterburner, you should be able to overclock the Processor and Memory I was able to over Clock mine from 600 MHZ to 780 MHZ (max). But the Memory I went from 900 MHZ to 1075 MHZ, whereas max is 1175 MHZ, still a good increase.
Llano
1) Install Catalyst 12.9 Beta Drivers
2) Install MSI afterburner
3) Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\ then open MSIafterburner.cfg in note pad then look for UnofficialOverclockingMode = 0 under [ATIADLHAL] and change the 0 to 1 save and close
4) Open MSI afterburner and now you should be able to over clock the IGP in your llano based APU. ( I personally thought this was impossible)
5) Install K10 Stat and/or AMD overdrive.

If you use K10stat you can lock your CPU into one power state, which could be the highest one. AMD overdrive is easier going to Auto clock click start and AMD over drive will find the best over clock. Please note that it will lock this in so your processor always uses this frequency (bad for battery life). K10 stat you can tell it what frequency it uses, so you can go from high to low performance modes easily.
Using afterburner I took a 6620G to 580 MHZ from 444 MHZ. I noticed that from 444 MHZ to 500 MHZ I saw a huge performance increase. Unlike Trinity I still saw a performance increase from 500 MHZ to 585 MHZ but not nearly as much as from 444 MHZ to 500 MHZ. Also note that you can’t change the memory clock as it is your system ram.
Other Thoughts
All APU’s Benefit if you are using dual channel setups meaning 2 x 4GB sticks is better than 1 x 8 GB. Also you want to get the fastest ram with the lowest latency’s your laptop will support. This is because the APU based GPU uses system ram, faster system ram, and means faster video ram.
This is not overclocking but, both Trinity and Llano based CPUs can be undervolted. From my general experience both a crap ton, in my Trinity it can go stably as low as .981 without too notable performance decreases. Using a simple program like Intel burn in test to get a simple GFLOP output from my processor. It was less powerful, but I would say you would notice it in your battery life, say for students who are most likely to own this class of laptop. Most likely a tradeoff students would find interesting as you can go from super low voltages and high voltage setups easily.
Final thoughts
If you’re going to does this do it at your own risk. Also consider that overclocking generates more heat, normally this is not an issue in desktops, as you can upgrade your cooling (Which you can’t do in laptops).Llano and Trinity have thermal cutoffs of 100 C, so they will shut down your computer at 100C. I like to try to keep my full load temps below 90 C on my overclocks for safety. I always find the maximum stable clock settings and lower it by 10-20 MHZ, as a safety buffer.

Trinity, A10-4600M, Overclock 7670M,

Oswald_91

Honorable
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks for the reply Chad, but I've tried both of the things you said but still no joy.

Just out of interest, what sort of performance improvement did you get? A much better 3DMark score? Or a decent jump in FPS in a game?

chad2625

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Maxime506

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
This is my laptop's (acer aspire 5560G) spec:

A6-3400M CPU w/ 6520G IGP plus HD 6650M (means HD 6720G2), 8GB 1333 Dual Channel and a WD 500G HDD.

Unfortunately when play games w/ Dual Graphics (6520G plus 6650M), the internal CPU 'n GPU heat goes up to 90c in 30 mins even when my CPU is running at 1.6Ghz @0.9250V while playing w/ iGP only and the CPU at 2.4Ghz @1.1000V goes up to only 80c after an hour. So definitely it's the 6650M who produces a lot of heat.

Right now I wanna OC the iGP only 'cause the 6520G isn't powerful enough and results in 100% usage while playing games (at the same time CPU load keeps only 40-60% load). But when I tried MSI Afterburner 2.3.1 with unofficial overclock mode enabled it would bumped up a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL bsod error so it literately makes OC my iGP impossible. I use the video driver provided by manufacturer. Anyone has a solution?