Status
Not open for further replies.

yister

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
Hey guys, I want to overclock the GTX950m 2gb and i believe its the ddr3 version on my Msi laptop. It seems like my stock graphics is 1124 MHz and memory is 1001mhz. I am new to overclocking and know the risk of it and want to know more about overclocking. Where should I start? Should I up my graphics and memory to 100mhz and test the temp and then stress test it?

Solution
Hi, I have the same video card, although mine is from Asus and memory is clocked to 900mhz and not 1000mhz like it is advertised by Nvidia... I overclocked it to the maximum just to test and increased memory frequency to 1100mhz, noticed an increase of 8 fps or more while gaming and temperature only rose up about 3º/5ºC.
Don't listen to negative comments of people who don't understand this, if you manage to control your temperatures and if they don't get much higher than the non overclocked version then you are okay. For example if your temperatures are not higher than 85ºC then you're fine, but if the temperature go higher and if it reaches 88º/89ºC it will thermal throttle so the performance will decrease making OC not effective...
Jun 7, 2018
Hi, I have the same video card, although mine is from Asus and memory is clocked to 900mhz and not 1000mhz like it is advertised by Nvidia... I overclocked it to the maximum just to test and increased memory frequency to 1100mhz, noticed an increase of 8 fps or more while gaming and temperature only rose up about 3º/5ºC.
Don't listen to negative comments of people who don't understand this, if you manage to control your temperatures and if they don't get much higher than the non overclocked version then you are okay. For example if your temperatures are not higher than 85ºC then you're fine, but if the temperature go higher and if it reaches 88º/89ºC it will thermal throttle so the performance will decrease making OC not effective. Since the limit temperature of the video card is about 90ºC by default, having the video card running always close to the limit might reduce its lifespan.
About stressing your video card, you don't have to do that, you just have to test while gaming. I never did this to my own graphics card but some people try to put higher values until they find something is not right while gaming, when they see "artifacts" and this means that you surpassed what the video card can take in terms of overclocking. You can risk yourself doing that...
I know from other people that it's fine maximizing the GPU clock (135mhz) and putting about 200mhz of memory increase in the GTX 950m DDR3.
In my own experience, by only adding 100mhz in memory clock without overclocking the GPU I gain about 5 FPS in game...

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.