Overheating Problem :(

ry4n_1337

Estimable
Apr 12, 2014
My laptop has an overheating problem (Lenovo Y550). I'm a scared noob to clean it, and I don't want to take it to the store because that's to much work and stuff.

So, here are my specs for my laptop which has known overheating problems (Lenovo Y550):

Intel Core i7 Q720 @ 1.6ghz
4GB DDR3 Dual-Channel Ram
Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)
Nvidia GeForce GT240M 1GB GDDR5

It runs older games phenomenally, running Skyrim at 60FPS, GTA IV at 50FPS on Medium-Low, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 at 70-80FPS low, 60-70 FPS ultra... But then 10 minutes later... OMG I'M ON SUCH A HIGH KILL STREAK DUDE HOLY CRAP! *laptop shuts off* F**k...

Temps:

Idle:
CPU - 82C
GPU - 83C
MoBo - 81C

Gaming:
CPU - 82C
GPU - 90-106C
MoBo - 81C

Rendering:
CPU - 82C
GPU - 86C
MoBo - 82C

It shuts down when it reaches 105C (GPU) The GPU is the main problem here, overheating. The computer has so good airflow on the bottom, with an external fan blowing under for additional airflow. Doesn't help the overheating.

Please help me fix this overheating... It's a pain. I'm thinking about smashing my laptop (literally), I'll post the video on YouTube if this doesn't come to an end.

Solution
how old is the computer, when did it start overheating, and if you cleaned it, when was the last time you did it?

your idle temps are WAY too high, max idle temp should be about 50. so that means your CPU is always under full load? I don't get it... when you are gaming the temps are the same as idle for CPU? I would say that your laptop is overheated, not just because of your graphics card

Pony32

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
how old is the computer, when did it start overheating, and if you cleaned it, when was the last time you did it?

your idle temps are WAY too high, max idle temp should be about 50. so that means your CPU is always under full load? I don't get it... when you are gaming the temps are the same as idle for CPU? I would say that your laptop is overheated, not just because of your graphics card

Solution

ry4n_1337

Estimable
Apr 12, 2014

It is about 3 years old, but I've been using it for the past year straight. It didn't overheat much before, but it started in the last month or so. I never cleaned it. It's a laptop by the way.

Pony32

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014

well if you never cleaned it, that could be the problem. Or maybe a fan failed. are you sure all of the fans are working properly? Also is the inside computer clean (by that i mean that cables do not interfere with the air flow)?

braincruser

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Blow compressed air in the vents until all crap comes out. Your vents are clogged.

(Some people like to blow with their mouth, but i dont recommend it, moisture + dust = Mud, and good luck removing that)