Overheating, unknown reason?

Awesome Doge

Commendable
May 30, 2016
Yes I have a x550cc laptop (i3 3217u, 4GB RAM and a 720m GPU). Recently when playing games I notice a massive fps drop (all games run at 10-15fps), so I did a check and find out my CPU is always at 70-80 celcius degrees, and rapidly increase to 90 and stop there when I open any games.
I brought it to a support center to clean the fan, the mainboard and replaced thermal paste for both CPU and GPU. The temperature did reduced, but not much. The technician told me it may because of a hardware failure and I have to replace the mainboard.
So, I want to know if that is even possible? Can a dead GPU or something wrong in the mainboard cause overheating?
(No overclocking, CPU and GPU usage is at normal rate)

Solution
That is a weird one. Malfunctioning components don't usually cause thermal problems. I can't say I've ever heard of a bad motherboard cause that problem. Improperly installed coolers for sure, but not a MB failure unless it's a problem with a fan not working like it should. Laptop coolers are PWM fans and speed up as the temps increase. Do you notice that they do? If not, then that could be a problem with the fan or the fan controller on the board. Both of my laptops do that and my MacBook Pro has 2 coolers. It needs them since it has a dedicated GPU. All that said, it is a laptop so it doesn't have a great cooling system to begin with and if you load it up they get hot, especially when the CPU and GPU are stressed like in games. Have...

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
That is a weird one. Malfunctioning components don't usually cause thermal problems. I can't say I've ever heard of a bad motherboard cause that problem. Improperly installed coolers for sure, but not a MB failure unless it's a problem with a fan not working like it should. Laptop coolers are PWM fans and speed up as the temps increase. Do you notice that they do? If not, then that could be a problem with the fan or the fan controller on the board. Both of my laptops do that and my MacBook Pro has 2 coolers. It needs them since it has a dedicated GPU. All that said, it is a laptop so it doesn't have a great cooling system to begin with and if you load it up they get hot, especially when the CPU and GPU are stressed like in games. Have them check the fans. Listen to hear if they speed up under load.

Solution

Awesome Doge

Commendable
May 30, 2016

The techinician guy also take a look and said the fan looked ok, but I think it's working a little "smoother" (less noise, less vibration like it used to be). I'll check it out, thanks anyway