Overheating when laptop is charging

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
hello

i have a gigabyte p35xv3 and for some reason recently, i reformatted my laptop ready for university and ive been getting all these high temperature spikes up to 80 degrees celsius. at idle its around 49-54 degrees but if i was browsing on chrome, it would be in the high 50s to low 60s. i can obviously tell if there is a rise in temperature because of the fans that kick in afterwards. is this normal?

ive used the same laptop cooler before and still currently after reformatting.

would the dry and hot temperatures affect my laptop's thermal paste in the past 3 months of use?

do i have to update the BIOS or something? and if i do have to update the BIOS, what are the risks? because reading from the gigabytes website, they say flash your BIOS at your own risk.

i dont remember these temps before i reformatted the laptop.

Thanks!

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
These temps do seem to be within normal operating range. It's quite normal for your device to heat up while charging.

I find it very very unlikely that a format would have caused a spike in temperatures.

Nerolex

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

hmm thanks for replying, i just left my computer for 10mins by itself idling and when i came back i found that it was idling at around 60 degrees +- 2 degrees. when its on battery, its normal at high 40s to low 50s.

Rachel_18

Commendable
May 8, 2016

Thanks this helped me pinpoint my similar issue. I keep my laptop plugged in charging 24/7 whilst gaming and plugged in the temp was 81 when i simple took the cable out it went down to 66! I recently got my fan cleaned by a professional (and a good guy) so I was puzzled