P34g-V3 Vs Sager NP8268-S (Clevo P150SM-A) Vs GS60 Vs Asus G751-JY

Nefixidus

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
1. What is your budget? ~2k (up to 2.2(10%)).

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13.3-17

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080p Preferred

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Either. Portability will literally only matter for 1 full year (studying abroad). After that year is over, this laptop will not see much portable use, and the laptop only needs to travel around 1km per day (about 6 minutes walk each way). I will most likely end up connecting this laptop for extended periods to a laptop cooler and 1/2 external monitors/external keyboard/mouse during that period, unless I choose a portable option (But I have an i3 Surface pro 3, which sees much more "portable" use).

5. How much battery life do you need? Minimum 3-4 hours. I have lectures roughly 4 hours a day straight, and I am constantly googling things mentioned left and right.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes, but not so very often at the moment (about 1-2hrs/week for this year). Games I would mostly love playing would be DayZ, Borderlands, Titanfall, Guild Wars 2, Far Cry 4, GTA 5 and new releasing such as these at 1080p on ultra, if possible (I'd play plugged in, of course).

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Just watching lectures, editing PDFs, basic usage and occasional photo/video editing. Mostly light work aside from gaming.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 256gb minimum, at least 1 SSD preferred.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. XoticPC.com would be my go to because of pricing/IC diamond thermal compound addition (definitely this).

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 5 years, but I have a gaming desktop from 2011 that I made (i'm a total noob) that my mom has actually now "claimed" because I've been gone for so long.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I don't need any. I own an external Bluray RW.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Asus only because I've bought from them before. Am not well acquainted enough with others to form any real preference.

13. What country do you live in? USA, but am abroad in the Caribbean.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

So I haven't seen any of these laptops in person. I don't think I'll get to see any aside from the asus (I saw the G750JM a few months ago, it was NICE)

Here's my personal takes on the laptops: (NOTE: I had IC Diamond Thermal Compound on all)

Gigabyte:980m(8GB), i7-4710HQ, 12gb RAM, 128gbSSD+1TB HDD~$2100
Pros: Excellent specs, and V2 had decent battery life. LIGHT!
Cons: Seems very cheap built, and screen quality was biggest complaint in V2. I'm watching/reading from this all day so I need a solid screen/keyboard, and I'm worried about temps from a thin design.

Sager: 980m(8GB), i7-4810MQ, 12gb RAM, 120GB SSD+ 1TB HDD~$1950
Pros: Excellent specs/price. Great cooling (though not sure how loud it gets?). Includes "COPPER COOLING UPGRADE." BluRay reader
Cons: This was my biggest heartbreak, because the keyboard looks absolutely terrible. I was watching a few reviews, and I even saw pieces oddly cut out, which was just a giant red flag.
It's also VERY thick (As thick as the Asus, and seemed thicker with the foot supports).

MSI GS60: 970m(6GB), i7-4710HQ, 16gb RAM, 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD ~$1950
Pros: THIN! Light, decent specs. Quality seemed very nice relatively to the options.
Cons: TERRIBLE battery life, and worst temps of the four (though I'm not sure with 970 how these two are on the standard 1080p gs60). 970m vs 980m.

Asus G751JY: 980m(4gb ram),i7-4710HQ 24gb RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD ~$2550
Pros: Great cooling. Great Specs. IPS SCREEN.Bluray RW.
Cons: Price. WEIGHT. Size.

The asus was my preferred since I'd have loved to use it as a desktop replacement come 2017, however it's just a little out of my price range and I'm not sure I could handle the weight the entire time I had it, which is actually a concern of mine with the Sager as well (in certain cases where I need to move more than my "usual," which would be occasional but happen nonetheless.

I was considering the Asus GL551jk for a bit (when the price was constrained), but it turns out that asus had turned away from their IPS display and dual cooling, so this really bugs me. The display was why I shy away from the y50 as well.

My biggest flaws with each laptop creating my indecisiveness are the following:

Gigabyte:SCREEN. Looks cheap also. Temps/longevity.

Sager: Keyboard looks horrendous. Thickness/weight.

MSI: battery life and temps/longevity.

Asus: Price and weight.

I had considered the Alienware 13, but I can't understand why they don't have an i7 variant, considering their external GPU proposal. I feel like an i5-4200U would be a severe bottleneck.

Shiroyuki92

Estimable
Nov 9, 2014
I recently bought the Asus G751JY and this is after careful reconsideration of all options for a $2500 budget.
I needed a desktop replacement because I would be going around a lot (and the fact that my friends have lan gatherings for league of legends).

I did consider getting the MSI GT72 Dominator Pro because of the improved cooling and the steel series keyboard. But I like how the Asus high end ROG laptops focus on cooling. I've experienced bottlenecks on harware that have had crappy cooling and I can say this laptop is amazing under full load and it keeps its cool very well.

The size and weight is a pretty big con, but still for something that runs Skyrim on Ultra with all the mods I could put in, the ability to OC, BF4 on high, and the gorgeous matte IPS display with the large trackpad(the sofware on it is pretty damn good). I'd gladly go through the workout everyday carrying this beast of a laptop everywhere with me.