Panasonic 152'' 3D Plasma HDTV is Dreamworthy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayouboy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Forget about the price, at this size, I just have to ask how a unit like this is better than a projector? This thing probably weighs a good bit, but its dimensions make it extremely difficult to get into a building. I am pretty sure you will have to cut a hole in the wall. I know projectors only work well in low lit rooms, but that is what theater rooms are for and that is the only use I see for a screen like this. I'm not going to having something like this in a living room, it just takes up too much space.

Most importantly, I can just see someone either accidentally hitting the screen or falling on it and permanently ruining it. No such worries with a projector.

audioee

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Will that even fit through a normal door?![/citation]

The asian girl next to it is probably kind of short, so there is a good chance it will just fit.

[citation][nom]Soldier37[/nom]If I won the lottery this would be my very first purchase, second would be a 2010 F150 SVT Raptor, third would be a nice house to put them in.[/citation]

House first to put the TV somewhere, truck second to get the TV home, then the TV. Gotta think logistics of getting that TV.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, install that on an exterior wall of your house, the radiant heat might cause issues otherwise. Heck, install it AS an exterior wall of your house, big as that sucker is.

TVs are quickly out-pacing the resolution of the video images they are displaying. 4096x2160? Clearly its intended as a display for businesses or something.

I remember my uncle buying a big 64-inch rear-projection TV. The thing was enormous and had a really good picture, but only supported Component video, no HDMI (nor did it include a digital TV receiver). Since hi-def blu-ray requires HDMI, the thing was basically just an expensive waste (though he was able to find a hi-def digital TV receiver that had component output). My point is, by the time this TV's specs can be realized, it will be real old and probably won't have the proper inputs to work properly.

G

Based on a 16:9 ratio the height of the display area itself is just under 74.5". Most doorways are 80" tall. That would be a tight fit.

G

Why couldn't this just be the wall (all the walls) of my house? I could virtually be outside, virtually be in Hawaii, and many other unmentionable places.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Nope...just waiting for the LED lamp 1080p HDTV projectors.

First ones are out at about $15K-20K already.

When the price drops below $2K, I'm in.

Same sort of picture size in a box that you can fit on a small book shelf (and carry around in a large brief case) - that won't blow its light source every 3 to 4,000 hours, run up my electric bill as much as running the furnace, or set the wiring on fire.

Not to mention not needing a hoist or risking a bunch of beer-swilling buddies dropping it trying to hang the darn thing!!

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
152", 4k resolution, I'm in!

I'd tear out my walls with my damned fingernails to put this thing in my house if I had to.

Plus, I could also sell my furnace to help pay for the cost, because this thing would generate enough heat to keep my house warm on even the coldest Canadian winter nights! (And that Panasonic's Plasmas have higher power consumption than their Samsung competitors.)

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mackeral[/nom]Why couldn't this just be the wall (all the walls) of my house? I could virtually be outside, virtually be in Hawaii, and many other unmentionable places.[/citation]

Patience, my friend. Only a matter of time.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Like bayouboy says, at this size a projector would surely be a better idea. Or two projectors for 3D. As much as the 4k resolution is great and all (although if the screen is 16:9 then it means those are rectangular pixels which would suck), no films outside of IMAX theatres are sold at that resolution and even the most powerful quad-crossfire gaming PC could run all games at that resolution - especially not in 3D. A better option would be to buy two high end bright projectors, two polarising filters and a pair (or more) of polarised glasses. Add in the right PC hardware and you'll be blasting away in 3D games and watching 3D films at 1080p in no time and at a fraction of the cost. That's what I would do if I won the lottery!

Status
Not open for further replies.