Panasonic Reveals LED-Based Light Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

saljr

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I hope more company's join the Panasonic producing LED lights. That will help bring the cost down. My next purchase is going to be a LED monitor.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
"When used as a downlight, the 6.9 W standard type LED bulbs deliver the brightness equivalent to 60 W"
"the 7.6 W standard LED bulbs have the brightness of 60 W incandescents when used as a downlight."

So, which is it...

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Also how is the light quality of these? (the CRI value) Is it as bad as the compact fluorescent lamps? Or comparable to incandescent lamps?

The biggest issue with energy saving lamps to day is that the light quality sucks.

blackbeastofaaaaagh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
> The biggest issue with energy saving lamps to day is that the light quality sucks.

I personally, am very obsessive-compulsive about light quality. The finest reading lamp I've used (own two of them) is a Halley Desk Lamp (distributed by Lucesco). It uses an array of 15 led bulbs and the light is very bright, clear (free of dominant color bands) and well-focused (like a halogen reflector bulb) and is dimmable. It's little wonder that this lamp is very popular in art galleries to highlight individual art pieces.

So in principle an LED can be better than even top grade halogen reflector bulbs.

FYI: You can actually buy CFL lamps in different color temperatures. The light quality of some of them are as good as any incandescent bulbs. I have had excellent results with GE Softwhite dimmable bulbs used in conventinal light fixtures. However, being as finicky as I am, their light is too diffuse and creates a dull environment. A properly lit room should not be flooded with light; Makes everything look flat and dulls the mood. A room should have proper bright spots and shadows, so for now I stick with halogen reflector track lights.

xyz001

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
>blackbeast

Gotta check out your LED lamp.

The dullness of CFL lamps is not so much due to their color temperature, but to their low CRI (color rendering index) value. Daylght has a CRI value of 100. Incandescent lamps and halogen also has close to 100. But most CFL lamps have only 80. This means that 20% of the colors that the ligth hits dont really reflect and become visible. Look at the two picturs of a red shirt on this link (dont mind the language) One is taken in energy saving light, the other in incandescent.

http://politiken.dk/tjek/bolig/energi/article588942.ece

I have read though that you can but types of CFL that has 5 layers of phosphor (compared to normally 3) This should give a CRI value of 90. But they also use the double amount of watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.