Paramount, Sony Offering DivX Movies to Own

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanjm

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
If they're trying to snag the people who would otherwise illegally download the movie, this is an epic fail attempt. First, $10-15 is overpriced for a direct download. There's no middle-man and no physical product to produce/ship, therefore the price should be closer to $5 for standard definition. Maybe $7 for high def. Anything over that, and you're not going to get many people to pay because they will think it's overpriced. I know I would.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? It's actually about the same price as the other systems (like the PS3 store) charge to "own" your downloaded movie, the difference is that there is no DRM.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? It's actually about the same price as the other systems (like the PS3 store) charge to "own" your downloaded movie, the difference is that there is no DRM.[/citation]
RedBox does it for $1 (thought I don't use it, it is quite popular).

G

Renting a DVD overday is 9 SEK, or about $1.30, at the local minimart.

DVDs are usually 3 for 99 SEK, or $4-5 per film.

Granted, these aren't the 'collector's edition' items but nor are the digital download versions likely to be.

I'd expect less that $4-5 for SD and no more than $10 for full HD, _now_. Anything more than that is highway robbery, given the lack of physical media and surrounding fluff.

That said, I approve of the DRM. I don't mind having my ID in there, as long as the software isn't crippled in any way.

GoOakland

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
"You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? It's actually about the same price as the other systems (like the PS3 store) charge to "own" your downloaded movie, the difference is that there is no DRM."

sure they would. Ipod-lounge does it. Not trying to promote ipod-lounge or anything but if its done in the past then it can be done still.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? It's actually about the same price as the other systems (like the PS3 store) charge to "own" your downloaded movie, the difference is that there is no DRM.[/citation]

the difference here is that you can actually play this on anything that handles DivX... as opposed to your ps3 solution that is tied to the ps3... lots of cheapo dvd consoles handle DivX these days and every PMP handles them just fine so this doesn't seem too bad of a deal tho i agree the price is just slightly too hy... sub 10 bux, as has been said, is ideal...

GoOakland

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
"You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? It's actually about the same price as the other systems (like the PS3 store) charge to "own" your downloaded movie, the difference is that there is no DRM."

Ipod-lounge does it why can't they?

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hmm.. sounds interesting.... but.... only SD... $10-$15 for a SD movie?..o_O hmmm... That sounds quite overproced to me. If is 1080p for $10-15... then I will think about it.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Flashback to the signing of the declaration of independance:

"Ok John footpenis?"

"It's hancock now"

"why?"

"That doesn't matter"

Havok2010

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
If you want people to buy Digital Downloads then price them at a fair price.

Consumers are not getting a phyisical copy and there is almost no distribution cost, there is no 3rd party markup (Shops make about 30% on dvd/Cd sales) best still there are no dusty copies left on the shelf in 5 years no one wants.

£8.99 1080P Divx
£6.99 720P Divx
£4.99 480p DivX

I think at these prices then people might turn away from Piracy.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Um, walmart has dvd rental for $1 per dvd per day... that's 1/15 of the cost of this stupid new thing. You can watch this dvd fifteen times any day before matching the cost. God.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If they start to make decent movies again, and stop prosecuting people for millions of dollars for sharing, and naturally put reasonable prices (like Havok2010 suggests), I might consider withdrawing from my boycott. They are sill flooding me with useless and subliminal commercials even inside the work supposed to be art called movie.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]cdillon[/nom]You can barely rent a movie for $5 to $7 and you think they're going to sell you one at that price? [/citation]
Red Box any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.