parent friendly network solutions

Garry Holt

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Hi all i'm trying to install a parent friendly network into my home, this is such a widespread problem especially when children become addicted to internet based pass times that parents have to shut down the whole network to prevent unauthorised access.
My idea is to use the wi-fi card on my computer running windows 7 as the gateway for all other wi-fi enabled devices thus giving me total control over times of use etc
What i need to know is how do i use my hardwired via LAN cable PC to do this.
There will be numerous problems to overcome but the first is enabling both the WI-FI card and using the onboard LAN connection at the same time.

So please get involved in creating a solution to an ever increasing world wide problem.

Thank you regards Garry

Typically, you want to do this in the router. Many mid-range to high-end routers have filters and access limits.

Using a PC's WiFi card as an access point tends to lead to poor performance.

Good luck though; I have no doubt that your kids will get around this quickly. Talk to them instead of enforcing it.

Garry Holt

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015

Hi i'm sure there are many that will agree with you regarding talking to them as i do but sometimes enforcing is the only option and thats the path i'm trying to pursue all the routers i have looked at have one problem with there security and that is the factory reset button.

Your PC has far greater vulnerabilities. A router can just be put in a locked cupboard.

Given that you're going to have a router or modem anyway, they could simply factory reset it and ignore the PC. Or use cellular data. Or connect to another network, if someone with an open one is in range. Or shoulder-surf your password and change the settings. Or use apps that don't need an internet connection - plenty of games work great standalone.

Garry Holt

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
Your response is a very good and valid response but what i'm trying to achieve is a solution to a world wide dilema my particular problem stems from i live in a modern bungalow which has quite a large spread on one floor and poor connectivity due to insulation, at the opposite end of the property from the router location, which is not possible to relocate, i have to fit numerous antanas throughout the loft space in order to give an even spread of coverage to all, so at the same time i thought i would try and address the age old problem of teenagers becoming recluse, to which my children are rapidly approaching, so taken onboard your given input what would your solution be?