Parents are looking for a new TV, is 4K worth it?

vaconcamp

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
The TV will only be used a DirecTV receiver, which does *not* support 4K, and no one broadcasts at 4K yet. The obvious answer, then, is to only buy a 1080p TV. But 5 years down the line, do you think 4K broadcasting will be prevalent with companies like DirecTV with channels like CNN and some sports channels? Should they just buy a 1080p TV now and then upgrade in the future when 4K is more common?

Solution
I would not spend the money for a 4K TV yet since there is little content available and the prices on 1080p models are so inexpensive by comparison. So, yes get a 1080p now and 4K when it becomes more useful.

RealBeast

Distinguished
I would not spend the money for a 4K TV yet since there is little content available and the prices on 1080p models are so inexpensive by comparison. So, yes get a 1080p now and 4K when it becomes more useful.

Solution

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I don't know if DirectTV will be able to broadcast in 4K. The biggest issue is bandwidth and Satellite is not known for having high bandwidth. I know providers like FiOS and other fiber based systems will be much more capable of handling 4K but DTV I doubt.

I would stick with 1080p for now then do 4K in 5 years if their provider can handle it.

NeuroFryk

Estimable
Jun 15, 2015
If they can't wait until 4k matures a bit more and 4k bluray hits the market, and they're determined to buy a new TV now anyway, I'd say go for it. Take em somewhere like a walmart, best buy, or preferably Fry's Electronics to check em out in person. If their eyesight is good, they'll most likely love and appreciate the difference in quality.

My family purchased a 1080p TV last year, picking one I recommended. If we were shopping in today's market, I would have definitely tried to convince them to go 4k. Sure, you can get 1080p for less -- but it may save the headache of having to buy yet ANOTHER TV in the future when 4k is more mainstream and media is widespread. Bluray 4k is likely going to be out later this year - so media availability, while very lacking now, will likely flood the market soon. (Just got back from Fry's and it seemed like there were more 4k than 1080p TVs!) .. I don't think it'll take long to hit critical mass, certainly will be quicker than it took 1080p due to the fact that HD was prohibitively expensive when it first came out and 4k is already fairly affordable.

I have a 4k 30" monitor now and was just drooling at the idea of having one of the 120hz /60hz Sony 55" 4k TVS as a monitor. Not that I don't absolutely love my 30" , the only problem is that it makes it somewhat painful to go back to using 1080p or less. It's easily one of my all-time favorite computer component upgrades.

RealBeast

Distinguished
The vast majority of older people cannot actually see the difference between 1080p and 4k unless you reduce the viewing distance to well less than the optimal distance.

Using a 4k monitor is totally unlike using one as a television. Monitors are used at a greatly reduced distance so the reduced pixel size is obvious unlike in a television situation.