Partially Inactive Keyboard

NiallSilvain

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Sorry for the vague question but I need some pathways to check. I recently replaced a cooling fan on a Dell Inspiron 1525 and it seemed to have worked fine. One week later, my customer came to me stating that certain buttons are not working. I did not test all of the buttons after replacement, just the frequent ones. I've read about having to tape up ribbon cables because they are loose after taking them off. Any advice would be very helpful. I'm still an up and coming tech and would hate to lose credibility for poor workmanship if this is something that I haven't learned yet. Thanks for taking the time to read this and respond.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
That sounds like she hit numlock and turned off her number pad by accident.

As for the F keys, this thing is a laptop, right? It probably has a "function" button that you may have to press to get the F keys to actually be F keys.

NiallSilvain

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thank you for the brainstorming with me DarkSable. The customer was able to leave the laptop with me. Once I was actually able to confirm what buttons were not working, I took the keyboard out and seated the ribbon cable again. The arrow keys and the buttons on the outer most edge were not working due to the ribbon being seated improperly.