Password Recovery Bug Puts PSN Users at Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Looks like more free games are on the way... Well, not for me of course since I don't own a PS3.[/citation]

Yeah me neither. I am glad to be an "elitist" PC gamer. But I do have sympathy for those affected.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Yeah me neither. I am glad to be an "elitist" PC gamer. But I do have sympathy for those affected.[/citation]
Same here, although I don't feel any sympathy whatsoever. That was ripped out of me when I was told by a bunch of PS3 owners that PCs werent meant for gaming, that my system was crap, and that there's no difference whatsoever between it and a PS3. Actually, the PS3 is apparently better at gaming than a gaming PC.
Nope. No sympathy to be found here. Ignorance is bliss, I guess, when you don't understand that someone's GPU alone has more power than your entire console, nor what the word "resolution" means, nor anything else that has anything to do with graphical quality whatsoever. I don't mind that people like their consoles - that's just fine with me. But when they go out of their way to bash on PC 'elitists', that's when they need to be put in pain.
/rant on why I hate most console gamers

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
If PSN had only been down a day I could've said "they just rushed it and forgot to double check", but after being down for weeks....really? I mean, Sony...REALLY? Not ONE person there said "Hey, maybe using the stolen personal data to recover passwords, not a good idea?" in that ENTIRE TIME?

This is the problem with corporations nowadays, CEOs write their own checks and answer to no one. If I was a shareholder I'd demand the resignation of anyone who hasn't been on vacation for the past month. Taco Bell managers have more common sense than the people who are running Sony. Considering how dependent they are on brand recognition, this kind of sloppy bandaging is going to do unimaginable damage to their profits.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
And people were going after the Japanese government for preventing it from going back online in Japan, LOL.

Seems like the government there does it's job, protecting the people.

iNiNe5

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
A combination of Email + DOB is often good enough to change many passwords on many different sites, not just PSN. What they need to do is require you to have to log into your email account and click on the activate link to officially reset the password, and re-activate your account. If you can simply change it without having to access your email to activate, then that's messed up.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at this one; Sony how much easier can it get? You need a new validation method that goes beyond information that you know was stolen!!

I game on both the PS3 AND PC. I got the PS3 for the exclusive titles and the Blue Ray player (at the time it price comparible to the blueray players I was looking at) but the computer is far superior for gaming. I'm one of the seemingly rare people that thinks there is room for both.

And YES, I HATE console ports, and if the PS ever losses the stranglehold they have on the games I play on it, I won't be getting a PS4 or whatever it will be called.

zkevwlu

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
I recommend the movie Gung Ho starring Michael Keaton. You guys should see what happens to Japanese white collars who puts their company in this level of disgrace.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
someguynamedmatt: I know exctly what you're talking about, but there are people who own PS3s that simply use them for the Blu-Ray player and some "elite" PC users who use them for exclusive titles (in my case Rock Band). But yeah I don't really feel compasion towards the idiots who think their PS3s are better than PCs. I absolutely hate it when console owners diss the only true platform- because every console is really just a small personal computer anyway. Heck, without mainstream PCs pushing technology forward those stupid mindless console owners would still be playing Pac-Man.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not sure what was going through Sony's mind when coming up with this terrible method of changing a password. At this point I don't think even the most hardcore PS3 fanboy could defend this. It's weak to start with but to keep such a method after personal info on the consumers was stolen that includes this exact info required. That is just incompetent.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Same here, although I don't feel any sympathy whatsoever. That was ripped out of me when I was told by a bunch of PS3 owners that PCs werent meant for gaming, that my system was crap, and that there's no difference whatsoever between it and a PS3. Actually, the PS3 is apparently better at gaming than a gaming PC.Nope. No sympathy to be found here. Ignorance is bliss, I guess, when you don't understand that someone's GPU alone has more power than your entire console, nor what the word "resolution" means, nor anything else that has anything to do with graphical quality whatsoever. I don't mind that people like their consoles - that's just fine with me. But when they go out of their way to bash on PC 'elitists', that's when they need to be put in pain./rant on why I hate most console gamers[/citation]

Same here...for the most part. I have a PS3 as my way of "dumbing down" to play with the people I want to do online gaming with who see a PC as a barrier. Other side of it... PS3 exclusive games I wanted to enjoy.

On the other hand... triple-head gaming on a current NV/AMD gpu *and* chatting via Ventrilo is something I never happening via console.

Status
Not open for further replies.