My HP froze up about 18 months ago with the caps lock light on and the f11, f12 keys all lit up and a black screen. I have been playing with it lately and brought it back to life yesterday by doing some suggested hard reboots and having a disc in the dvd drive. it worked all day yesterday and now is going back to the same actions. It seems to overheat a bit but not real bad and it has shut down on its own a few times. Is the power supply going on this machine and is it something I can repair?
Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then see if it would boot up normally.
- If these doesn't work, do check the AC adapter if it's supplying enough voltage or try another AC adapter that has the same voltage and see if it will boot up normally.
- Do also try to boot the laptop without its battery and see if it would work.
- Next is to reseat the RAM if using a different AC adapter will not work. Remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure everything is seated properly.
- Another step you may want to try to check if the LCD is okay or not is to connect an external monitor and see if you'll get any display from it.
- And if all these will not work the problem lies inside the motherboard itself.