Pay-As-You-Go Internet In The Works Say ISPs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I guess they oversold their capacity to deliver "unlimited internet" and instead of try to beef up their networks it's easier to just charge people more as a kind of "moral hazard" against using the 'net as much.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
here's an idea...

why not offer pay-as-you-go as another pricing tier on top of the current model???

doesn't this make EVERYONE happy?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Why don't you use the already excessive amount you charge us to...mmmm I don't know...maybe make it better? If you want a good business, you can't just take the profits it yields. You have to pour the profits back into the company to make it stronger and better. Business 101.
Try caring for the customer. It goes a long way.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
AT&T is just made because they made the wrong investment by not doing straight fiber everywhere.. They are so cheap they are unwilling to simply upgrade like every other place in the world..

RCraig57

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Another example of government placing their noses where it does not belong. Let the free market decide and let the consumers decide the best course of action for themselves. Competition in the market is healthy.

RCraig57

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Another example of government placing their noses where it does not belong. Let the free market decide and let the consumers decide the best course of action for themselves. Competition in the market is healthy.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
We have NASA working on technologies in which we can fly to Mars in a month, but yet these greedy corporations can't figure out a way to make their Internet Pipelines accommodate HD video of people playing with their cats on Youtube?

How come it's only the Internet to blame? What about all that bandwidth sucked up by HD TV channels that people watch day in and day out?

It's absolutely sickening what this country is turning into. (No, I'm not an old-timer, nostalgic about the way things used to be)

Corporate America is sucking up every cookie and crumb they can find, there's no limit to how much they'll keep digging into your bank accounts.

Tough shit, the Internet is ever expanding. Expand your technology and network structure. The bill isn't taxable.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Let's see... the Japanese ISPs are providing at minimum an 100M connections for 80% their customers and we have American ISPs complaining about providing at minimum an 8M connections for 40% of their customers...

**** you, American ISPs!

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Time Warner Cable just upped my service about $20 dollars a month. They were the ones trying to make caps for everyone and all hell broke lose. Now I guess this is their way of getting the money that they wanted.

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
And here in UK they are providing minimum of 10M connections for about under 25% users. Most are getting 2M connection because they dont use fiber.
I use Fiber and I get 10M connection max. Had no problems with it.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
This is nonsense. With the high internet speeds in Japan and Korea Time Warner and AT&T have no excuse for this.

Why do services there provide such high speeds with no caps?

With pay as you go, we have to pay for Windows updates, driver updates. This will put a big hurt in video streaming, online shopping, and probably kill online gaming....what a mess.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Oh please. The only reason you want to cap bandwidth and go to a service like this is because streaming services and downloads are hurting your OTHER business ventures. Look at every company that provides internet service.... AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, etc. Almost all of them also provide television service.

These companies want to use "increased data usage" as a scapegoat to force consumers back into their OTHER business ventures. People are dumping their television services right and left in favor of sites such as Hulu and movie streaming services such as Netflix instead of these companies own ridiculously overpriced services. They're losing profits because they can't provide a half decent service so they're looking for the easiest way to get people back on board. Hey, why don't we tell people these services they are using use too much bandwidth and cap their data? Sounds great!

Please tell me the FCC sees right through this thick layer of BS.

benderhatesyou

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
RCraig57, when there is no choice, there is no competition. This wont lower anyone's bill. It will only cost everyone more... Even if I can switch from Verizon to TWC to whoever, if they all can get as deep in my pockets as they want, they will.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
mm I am pretty sure this would not be taken lightly in the USA or around the world if they decide to do something so obviously absurd, its not our fault as consumers that your own personal business decisions got you to this place...that gold mine that you so clearly have by abusing your power,isn't gonna be there forever,better think of something better or just get out of the way for better competitors.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Oh please. The only reason you want to cap bandwidth and go to a service like this is because streaming services and downloads are hurting your OTHER business ventures. Look at every company that provides internet service.... AT&T, Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, etc. Almost all of them also provide television service. These companies want to use "increased data usage" as a scapegoat to force consumers back into their OTHER business ventures. People are dumping their television services right and left in favor of sites such as Hulu and movie streaming services such as Netflix instead of these companies own ridiculously overpriced services. They're losing profits because they can't provide a half decent service so they're looking for the easiest way to get people back on board. Hey, why don't we tell people these services they are using use too much bandwidth and cap their data? Sounds great!Please tell me the FCC sees right through this thick layer of BS.[/citation]

Nailed it.

G

Actually, if the internet infrastructure were government funded and owned this would be a complete non-issue.

The problem with free-for-all capitalism when it comes to ISPs is that there's no real incentive to improve the existing infrastructure when you can just keep charging ever increasing amounts for making use of the existing one.

Of course, if there were ISPs out there that were interested in investing and actually driving competition that would pave the way for a healthy marketplace as well but let's be realistic for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.