PC access from iphone - the RIGHT way

ivanebc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
While this may seem like an easy answer as i already have the tools to do this ... they all do it WRONG .. LOL read on for the fun ........

What i'm doing needs to work on 3G and WiFi.

I own ezShare and CloudConnect pro. They connect to my PC fine, and in terms of file management like emailing files, deleting etc, these work perfect .. but here's the scenerio i'm trying to solve.

Moving files (or folders) from one drive to another ... here's the issue

I have two harddrives
Let's call them D: and E:
I often spot a file on D that needs to be moved to E - and again, this can be done with the current programs .. BUT

If i do this directly on my PC with a 500meg file it takes 5 seconds, but if i do it from the phone (doing either "move" or "copy/paste" then it takes over 40!!! minutes.

I realised that the programs were copying the file from the D drive TO my phone, and then from the phone TO the E drive instead of going direct. This is 40mins over wi-fi and would be out of the questions over 3G!

I can use RDP (even build into these apps) to achieve this but the slowness of RDP over 3G makes this a slow and painful process, and even wi-fi ain't pretty and fairly sluggish.

So i guess what i'm looking for is a RDP session that gives me just a file manager so i'm connected direct to the PC and moving files will happen as if i'm there. But still retain other cool features like email file, etc.
Some have mentioned SSH but i seem to only find google telling me how to SSH TO my phone, but from.

Also, i need this cause i'm heading away from home for a month and need to keep control of some of the automatic tasks that will be running that could potientially fill my harddrive and while i'll clear room, it is difficult to know how much room i'll need. Handy for other reasons too, being too lazy to move a new file to the media server as an example :)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ivan
Adelaide
Australia

Pyree

Distinguished
Hi Ivan! I am also from Adelaide (all excited)! Moving files from phone to HDD is going to be slow because your memory card on the phone is slow (for example, a fast class 10 sd card transfer at 10MB/s, you can get some even slower one like a class 2 sd card which transfer at 2MB/s, but a modern HDD transfer at over 100MB/s).

One thing that can slow transfer further rate is to read the files off from the phone via a cable to the computer via phone manager. I don't know the exact reason for why, but on my nokia phone, there is a card reader mode on the phone where transfer of files does not involve using the Nokia phone manager and the phone act just like a sd card reader. The transfer is faster on the card reader mode than on the normal mode of going through the phone manager. The transfer using the phone's card reader mode is just as fast as if I put the sd card into my computer's card reader.

So I think you may want to transfer your files on a card reader. See how fast it is. If it is still really slow (slower than expected), then we can discuss what to do.

ivanebc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
unfortuantely you are VERY off topic. I have found an answer, which is Webdav, i am still working through some finer points but i'm ghetting there.

I appreciate the answer, but if you read my question again it is about remopte file access to my PC whereas your discussing copying files to my iphone which is actually what i'm trying to avoid (and have since succeeded)

mmaatt747

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011

Hi Ivan,

I've never heard of Webdav, hopefully it works for you. A great tool that I have used is called Teamviewer. You download the app on your iphone and then download the software onto your PC. (Both are FREE!).

Then, when you open the app on your iPhone, it displays your desktop from your PC onto your iphone screen. So you have complete control of your PC on your phone. This is good because the only data being sent to your iphone is the screen view of your PC. So copying files around on your PC takes no extra time at all. Even on 3G there is almost no lag at all with controlling the mouse. You can even lock and unlock your Windows session from your Iphone to keep others from jumping on your PC.

Hope this helps.

Matt

ivanebc

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I might check it out but i wonder how that differs from a styandard remote session already built into windows ... maybe speed? Still to shuffle through directory to do cut and pastes and moving would be cumbersome. Webdav is doing great i just need to set it up more secure (it has built in SSL but needs major configuring).

Thanks for the info, i will check it out.