PC audio setup suggestions?

Erik_12

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016
Hello,

I would like to improve my audio setup for my pc. Currently i am running a https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/FX10_12/mini-hi-fi-system but tweeters are not really audible (hear-able sorry dont know the right english word for it) when not using it on high volume, so i needed to buy 10eur usb pc speakers and combine them, so they act as tweeters while the big hi-fi speakers act as kind of woofers, which isn´t that bad but i cant consider it as good either.

So i have borrowed my friends genius home theater, which is even worse, i have configured it then if it´s stereo then do a speaker fill and turned on bass management to have bass on stereo (without it it does not fill the audio into woofer) but the audio quality is poor, for some youtube videos it´s good for some the volume is very weak, meanwhile the same videos are playing fine on the hifi+pc speaker combo. Even if trying out 5.1 dolby sorround its pretty meh, generally it does not handle higher frequencies, everything is very flat.

So my question is what kind of audio setup should i look for.

I use desktop pc + 32" tv as monitor (for work i have separate laptop).

First i was looking for some AV reciever + with some studio speakers, but i am worried that it will end up same as my mini-system that while having low volume the highs (sound from tweeters) will be hardly audible.

Then i thought that maybe a soundbar with separate woofer will be more suitable for me. Note that i don´t really care about 5.1.

My budget is about 400 max 500 euros.

Thank you

Solution
I would have suggested that rather than an AVR you want a stereo amp with built in DAC and a good pair of quality speakers.
That lack of highs in the old speakers may be a characteristic of those speakers or just not to your taste. That's why listening to speakers in comparison to each other with content you are familiar with is crucial if you care about the audio quality as you do. A good audio store will do that for you. You can't do it online. Even honest reviewers may not like what you like so it's hard to use them wisely.
Most speakers aren't very linear. What I mean by that is that they don't measure or sound the same at different volumes. Lack of detail at lower volume is very common in low quality audio gear. I use the term low...

dinopht

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
The Philips Mini Hi-Fi System FX10/12 seems to be a decent sound system.

For the audio on the tweeters, you may want to try to use an equalizer to increase the volume of high frequencies.

You can try to increase the volume of frequencies above 8kHz.

Amitabha

Erik_12

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Already tried with my external creative soundblaster card, it helps a little but not enough tried all possible equalisations, while the volume is low (40-60 decibels). its speakers just need more power to start playing good, its like its designed to be loud.

I have ordered yamaha yas-207 soundbar, i will receive it tomorrow, hopefully it will fulfill my expectations.

I would have suggested that rather than an AVR you want a stereo amp with built in DAC and a good pair of quality speakers.
That lack of highs in the old speakers may be a characteristic of those speakers or just not to your taste. That's why listening to speakers in comparison to each other with content you are familiar with is crucial if you care about the audio quality as you do. A good audio store will do that for you. You can't do it online. Even honest reviewers may not like what you like so it's hard to use them wisely.
Most speakers aren't very linear. What I mean by that is that they don't measure or sound the same at different volumes. Lack of detail at lower volume is very common in low quality audio gear. I use the term low quality rather than low priced because a lot of expensive speakers aren't very good at this. Most soundbars don't pay any attention to this.
I hope that the Yamaha soundbar proves adequate. It isn't a bad soundbar for the price but a lot of that money goes to things that don't seem relevant to you. You may like it better without the surround sound and other processing so try it without all that first.

Solution

Erik_12

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

Thank you. I have bought the yamaha yas-207 soundbar with woofer. its lot better than my previous audio setups, so for a while i will be fine with it. Then someday i will walk into a store where i can try out different types of speakers just like you wrote.