Solved! pc auto turns on

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2014
Hi,

I just build a new gaming pc yesterday and everything is working fine.
I can game and do everything else.

The problem i'm having is when i turn of the computer it shuts down and just auto starts itself back on.
The only way for me to turn it off is to pull the plug or hold down the power button for like 15 seconds.

I don't think thats great for the endurance of my hardware.

Does anyone have a clue about whats happening here?
I have a aorus z390 elite motherboard and i haven't changed any settings whatsoever.

Thanx in advance !

Solution
Windows could wake up an computer from sleep but it won't power on a PC when it is off.
You could test that by powering off removing the disk with Windows 10.
On Windows 10, if Fast Startup is enabled in Power settings, Windows could power on the computer even if appears to be off.
Windows 10 does not power off completely, with Fast Startup is enabled, it enters a very deep sleep mode.

If your motherboard BIOS is configured to power on after a power failure, it could power on by itself when it detects a power failure from the PSU.
If your PSU doesn't support some power states, likes S5, it could mistakenly power up the system when it isn't supposed to do so.

jojesa

Distinguished
Windows could wake up an computer from sleep but it won't power on a PC when it is off.
You could test that by powering off removing the disk with Windows 10.
On Windows 10, if Fast Startup is enabled in Power settings, Windows could power on the computer even if appears to be off.
Windows 10 does not power off completely, with Fast Startup is enabled, it enters a very deep sleep mode.

If your motherboard BIOS is configured to power on after a power failure, it could power on by itself when it detects a power failure from the PSU.
If your PSU doesn't support some power states, likes S5, it could mistakenly power up the system when it isn't supposed to do so.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.