PC cant play any sounds

IntroGamer

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Hello! I was listening to spotify, when I realized my music levels were a bit low, but everything was maxed. So I went to playback devices, opened my speaker properties and tried to remove the Loudness Equalization option to see if that was really making a difference to my sound levels. However, when I tried to do this it froze, my music stopped and spotify, the dialog box, and firefox all crashed. Now, after restarts, windows troubleshooting, modifying a registry file (someone on the microsoft forums showed me a registry file that should be value of 1 but was 0, still didnt fix the issue.), and basic looking around. Nothing is working and now no sound is coming from my pc at all, and spotfy says 'theres an issue with my sound card' (I dont have one).

Can someone please help me? This is very worrying and I dont have a restore point to go back to.

Solution
You can try to perform a system restore to get back to a point before playing with it. You should avoid using the registry editor for these kinds of things.

in general Loudness Equalization should not harm anything. changing the number of speakers(2 channel -> 5.1 ect) may cause some program to crash or report an error, but not the full system.

You may also be able to uninstall and reinstall the latest sound drivers from the system maker or motherboard makers website.

nukemaster

Distinguished
You can try to perform a system restore to get back to a point before playing with it. You should avoid using the registry editor for these kinds of things.

in general Loudness Equalization should not harm anything. changing the number of speakers(2 channel -> 5.1 ect) may cause some program to crash or report an error, but not the full system.

You may also be able to uninstall and reinstall the latest sound drivers from the system maker or motherboard makers website.

Solution