PC display shuts down when switching from TV to PC

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
My setup

I have a HD TV ( 2 hdmi ports)
Yamaha AV Receiver
Desktop PC Nvidia Graphics ( display port, hdmi port, DVI )

TV HDMI 1 to HDMI ARC ( receiver)
HDMI 5 ( receiver) to Display port on graphics card with hdmi adaptor.
PC display to graphics card via HDMI

Monitor and TV are cloned. Works fine until I want to switch back from TV to PC. Monitor just shuts down. Only way I can switch back is to take hdmi to PC cable out of the receiver. Monitor then comes back on. I can't leave them connected all the time. Any ideas?

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I have them setup as duplicates as when I tried to use the extended display setup the resolution for the TV was permanently set at a higher setting than normal HD.

What is connected to the card? Is the computer turning on and just no display or is the system not starting? Any beeping? Is only the computer monitor plugged in directly to the card?

If you use extended mode, then each display can run on it's native resolution, if you use clone then the displays have to run on the lower resolution of the two displays.

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Hi and thankyou for your help! I have a display port/hdmi adapter connected to the graphics card to the monitor.(i switched them around today) And today i added another cable to connect the graphics card hdmi slot to the receiver. Display just goes to sleep if i switch from TV to monitor without taking the cable out. Same thing happens on extended display and cloned also...

I don't picture what you are doing exactly, you said you had no display at one point, is that fixed now? Are you going through the receiver now or directly to the monitor and the TV with the cables? What do you mean by switching from TV to the monitor, just moving the mouse to it or what are you doing? Turning one of them off?

Did you check for updated drivers for the video card? Some TVs have an issue with sending signals to the HDMI ports when talking to computers also, and I've run into issues with display ports where they would not communicate properly to displays and don't wake them up from sleep mode. So you have a monitor on the display port, it goes to low power mode, and does not come back on until you power cycle it or the computer.

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
"I don't picture what you are doing exactly, you said you had no display at one point, is that fixed now? Are you going through the receiver now or directly to the monitor and the TV with the cables? What do you mean by switching from TV to the monitor, just moving the mouse to it or what are you doing? Turning one of them off?
I don't picture what you are doing exactly, you said you had no display at one point, is that fixed now? Are you going through the receiver now or directly to the monitor and the TV with the cables? What do you mean by switching from TV to the monitor, just moving the mouse to it or what are you doing? Turning one of them off?
Did you check for updated drivers for the video card? Some TVs have an issue with sending signals to the HDMI ports when talking to computers also, and I've run into issues with display ports where they would not communicate properly to displays and don't wake them up from sleep mode. So you have a monitor on the display port, it goes to low power mode, and does not come back on until you power cycle it or the computer."

I have the TV connected to the receiver via hdmi. The PC Monitor connected to the graphics card of my desktop via display port/ hdmi adapter. And Hdmi port on graphics card connected to my receiver. (Card has one hdmi and one display port plus DVI)

Yes you are absolutely right i can get all to work fine (cloned or extended) BUT when i switch on say the radio on my receiver (and leave everything connected (pc monitor etc) My Monitor goes into sleep mode. Computer is still running etc. Only way to wake it up is to either turn the PC off and restart OR pull the hdmi cable connected to the graphics card and receiver out. It will come back on again then.

Tried your suggestion just connecting hdmi cable from monitor to TV but cant get any PC Display on the TV...only through the Nvidia 750 GTX connection to the receiver.

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
I have switched the connections also: RE: Display port/Hdmi adapter from graphics to receiver, and hdmi from graphics to hdmi on monitor...but same issues...

That issue with switching inputs seems like the receiver just does not maintain the connection all the way when input is changed. Nothing you can really do there outside of not using it to connect to the TV. No reason why the TV would not get a display when connected to the video card when it works in the receiver. When both are connected to the video card, does display options show two displays connected?

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016

Oh yes I get both displays working fine, it's just the PC display goes to sleep when I switch to another option ( Radio, DVD recorder etc OR switch TV off) on the receiver.It's just a pain to switch off the TV and the PC display goes to sleep at the same time. I guess I will just have to disconnect the Receiver from the graphics card...

Mandy_7

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
FIXED!!!!!

I downloaded a remote access app to my android phone "Teamviewer" so i could see what was going on when the display shutdown. The problem was the Monitor display was blacked out when the TV was turned off. So i duplicated the displays whilst this was happening via the app and configured all settings that way. My PC wasn't setting up the receiver configurations properly either, now it recognises the receiver as a High Definition Audio device as well as the TV in the sounds setup on Windows! So its firmly apart of it all now! Thankyou for your help!