PC HDD Booting Problem

TrazerGaming

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
1st off here is a little info about my PC that speccy tells me.

Operating System
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
3.00GB Single-Channel DDR @ 159MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation D865GLC (J2E1) 36 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1024x768@1Hz)
Storage
465GB Seagate ST3500630AS (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW DRU-840A
Audio
Creative AudioPCI (ES1370), SB PCI 64/128 (WDM)

Now the problem that I am having is that I actually have 2 HDD's installed into this computer. The Sata is the one I want to use now because my 250gb sata went bad the other day. The 2nd HDD is an old 20gb pata (big cable) and I can only boot into my windows xp on the 500gb drive if I do the following.
I have to unplug the power to the 20gb drive, and put a boot dvd in the dvd drive. If I just leave the drive plugged up, it will not give me an option to boot from the sata, and if I just unplug the 20gb it brings me to a menu to tell me there isnt a boot device. Only after letting the screen pass the "press any key to boot from cd..." it then boots to the main sata drive.
I also am trying to figure out how to install windows from a .iso file with no dvd or usb. I've done it before back when I purchased windows 7 a year or so ago.

Also sorry if I posted this in the wrong section I couldn't figure out where to post this. If you people can help me solve this I'll become an active member here. I honestly don't have the time to work on my computer, play league, and work.

Well thanks in advance I will keep up with this post.

Best Regards,
TrazerGaming

Here are 2 links to Intel's web page about your D865GLC motherboard:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/50354

2. http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15206/eng/d865gbf_d865glc_productguide02_english.pdf

The first link contains a host of drivers for download, and there's one for Windows XP Professional. The second link is an Intel Product Guide to your motherboard, and it might be worth studying the details on page 38 about using the IDE connector in Slave/Master mode.

As you probably know, this motherboard was introduced in 2003 so it should come as no surprise that Intel has discontinued all active support.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

TrazerGaming

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016

Thank you for the links, I downloaded all the drivers, just in case mine was bad, no dice on the problem. I also read page 38 and the ata drive is on its own cable in the first connection, always has been. I'm thinking that something is fouled up in the boot order somehow. Can't understand a lot of what is in the bios. The little I know is self taught.

On a side note I read that my board does not support Windows 7, I'm not sure if that guide is just outdated or if somehow speccy recognized the wrong board.
Not sure if it helps but this board did not come in it's current case. It's currently in APEVIA X-Superalien Aluminum Case link ( www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=ATXA6SW-GN/500# ) could it be the case has too many fans taking away from the power to the board? Again sorry if it sounds dumb the only hardware type pc work I've done is mainly maintaining a fresh bit of thermal compound to the cpu/heatsink, cleaning the case/board of dust, and replacing ram.

I'm off to research more thank you for replying.

Best Regards,
TrazerGaming