Pc Home theather is it worth it?

Kold51

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Pioneer VSX-831-K 5.2 Channel 3D 4K Ultra HD Network AV Receiver 499.99
Polk Audio R150 100-Watt Bookshelf Speakers - Pair 99.00
Creative soundblaster z card 140.00

Total : 739.99 Canadian

My question is from and audiophile point of view does the hardware match the price. Because this stuff really confuses me for the most part

Also I'm upgrading froma Logitech z906 if that has any relevance

Solution
I mean lets be realistic here... You're buying a pair of 100W polk speakers. What kind of fidelity are you expecting? You can spend $1k on audio gear if you want, but i'd bet that, unless you've been trained in it - you'd have a hard time telling it apart from my $30 2 channel amp and garage sale floor speakers. Not only that, but i don't think you could tell if you hooked my garage sale speakers up to a $1k audio system.

I say save your money man. I don't trust audio at all. not one bit. Too much gold plated BS in that industry. My two 10" subs in my truck hit hard as hell, and my home system can shake the house.

Spending a lot of money isn't needed. Unless your sound is making you money - i don't see the point.

If at...

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Doesn't sound like you need or use any of it?
What exactly are you trying to do?

Those Polk speakers just need a small amp to run them.
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PTAU45-Stereo-Amplifier-Inputs/dp/B003OELGGG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484001105&sr=8-1&keywords=pyle+amplifier

Even THAT would be overkill.

Something like this is probably plenty for your needs
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PFA300-90-Watt-Amplifier-Adapter/dp/B0071HZ5LE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1484001105&sr=8-5&keywords=pyle+amplifier

You just need an amp to power the speakers - that is all.

Kold51

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well my buddy who is a bit of a audiophile said start with a good amp than build your way up. I figure if I get a decent amp with a high wattage, low THD 0.9 % and better sound distortion on the sound card. I might one day be able to afford some good speakers with asub. I check out atmos and dtx but i really don't use blue ray a whole lot. I'm more of a google play kinda of guy. so really what the point of having all that stuff if I am just listening to music and watching movies with a little gaming on the side

Kold51

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Well I am using a z 170 deluxe board right now. An I have heard a lot of wish wash on the fact that on board sound is crap compared to what you can get out there. Always tinker with the idea of getting a sounds card to improve my gains. Hard part is know who make more quality parts and such. Because all sound equipment it seems is not made equally

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
In my opinion receivers are stupidly over priced. It isn't like you're getting some tube amplifier or something. Its just a simple digital amp. They are cheap and don't do much. You got 100W speakers - just get a 100W amp for them, its cheap and will sound great to you. You don't even need a sound card for most surround setups. The mobo will have separated channels for you to use. So if you decide to add another two, no big deal just add another little amp.

Subwoofers are almost ALWAYS powered. So i don't know what a sub would have to do with the receiver specs - they rely on their own amplifiers.

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
I mean lets be realistic here... You're buying a pair of 100W polk speakers. What kind of fidelity are you expecting? You can spend $1k on audio gear if you want, but i'd bet that, unless you've been trained in it - you'd have a hard time telling it apart from my $30 2 channel amp and garage sale floor speakers. Not only that, but i don't think you could tell if you hooked my garage sale speakers up to a $1k audio system.

I say save your money man. I don't trust audio at all. not one bit. Too much gold plated BS in that industry. My two 10" subs in my truck hit hard as hell, and my home system can shake the house.

Spending a lot of money isn't needed. Unless your sound is making you money - i don't see the point.

If at some point you want a really high end audio system, i say go for it 100%. But do it right and all at once.

I tell people this in regards to their cars all the time. You don't need to go EXPENSIVE. But you do need to do it all at once, and do it right.

Solution

Kold51

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
What would u recommend for a 5.1 system I already have my sounds card on the way but sat back on buying a real quality set.. I'm looking around 500- 600 bucks

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
A car subwoofer just lacks an amp. A home theatre subwoofer has that metal plate with the knobs on the back - that is the built in amp. "Powered Sub" is where the term comes from, power is built in and requires a wall outlet. All you need to do to get a car subwoofer working is to supply it with an amplified signal - just like your regular full range speakers.

DAC conversion... Why do you need a DAC? You're powering off a computer, a digital source, playing digital media, i'm not sure a DAC is going to accomplish much for you here.

You're mixing the extreme high end with consumer grade, and that audiophile stuff is so niche - they pay people $$$ who can even hear the differences.

I'd say it depends on the size of the room you're trying to fill. When I was in a small 12'x14' room, my PC and Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic paired with a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers was more than enough to fill the room and still piss off my roommate. When I moved into my apartment, I was able to set up a true home theater (HTPC w/Blu-Ray, 1080p Projector, 135" pull down screen). My theater room is 13'x22' and I purchased a cheaper Onkyo HT-S3200 system. I can't get that much above around 35% power without pissing off the neghbors, so again. I say it depends on your living situation.

-Wolf sends