PC is really LOUD

Bill2002

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015
I've owned my PC for about 6 years, and it's never really been any trouble. Only recently it's been crashing and just being slow. I'm no computer guy, but I think it's going to die soon, and I don't know how to get my stuff off it it. Oh, and I use this as a personal/gaming PC by the way. It's a 4gb core 2 quad and I think it's an HP 9800gt PC. The loudness isn't a problem as long as the crashing can be fixed. Pleas help!

Solution

Whateverworks_19

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001
Hm. All components with full information could be useful. I suspect a soon-to-die PSU is causing your crashing. The slowness can be caused by an ineffective PSU as well, but it is much more likely that other components diminishing functionality is contributing to the slowness.

Without the exact components of your PC; it can be hard for me to help you, but at this moment I would suggest testing your PSU with a digital multimeter or even borrowing a working PSU and observe if the problem persists.

This problem could also be software related - my knowledge regarding software is scarce, so I stick to hardware. Another question, how regularly have you opened your case and cleaned your PC in those six years?

M0j0jojo

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

This sound like a dust problem, its most likely that you have not cleaned the inside of your computer for 6 years and theres too much dust, and the components are over heating and causing crashes. Open up the case and vaccum up the dust.

06yfz450ridr

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
i would say loudness is from dust in the cpu heatsink and power supply. blow out both, they are most likely blocked causing it to overheat and causing itself to downclock. the slowness could also be due to a bad drive as well and at the 6 year age sounds about right as well.

run seagates sea tools and run the smart and disk self test and see if it passes

nagash

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
If you don't give more info about when it crash or when it gets loud there is not much to say
but if my first guess would be you haven't clean it for 6 years so clean it change thermal paste on cpu and gpu or ask someone that can do it

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Try downloading and running HWMonitor to watch your temps:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

As others mentioned, open the PC and use either a can of compressed air or an air compressor to blow out the dust, focus mostly on the CPU, GPU and PSU. Using short bursts to prevent moisture from coming out. Don't use a vacuum, the static from it could cause more problems than it fixes. After this check your temps again and if still high, get a friend or a shop to replace the thermal paste.

It's entirely possible the reason the PC is so loud is that the fans are running at full speed trying to cool the components off.

Bill2002

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015

I don't really know the full specs, nor do I know how to open the PC up. A few years ago my friend who built it for me used to come over and maintenance it, but he hasn't been over in like 4 years. I am afraid to open it because I could break something. I'm also not very PC hardware savy. Sorry about that.

Bill2002

Estimable
Jan 27, 2015

I'm not really sure what or how to clean a PC, and I don't want to damage anything inside. My friend who built it used to come over and work on it but he hasn't in like 4 years. I'm sorry I don't know what any of this means, like the PSU and stuff.

Martell1977

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
When your looking at the computer, it's usually the left side panel. There will be 1 to 3 screws to take off, then slide it back a bit and will will come off. If there is a fan on the panel, just unplug it and take note of what and where you unplug it from. Take it outside and use air to blow it out. Be gentle when moving it and all should be fine. Focus on anything that has a fan on it.

PSU: Power Supply Unit, it's the box inside where the power cord plugs into it
GPU: Graphics Processing Unit: Long horizontal board, will likely have a fan on the bottom
CPU: Central processing Unit: Will have a fan on it that is facing the panel

The only thing you have to remove is the side panel. If it's been 4 years, expect a bit of a cloud of dust, not recommended to do this inside.

Whateverworks_19

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2001

I see. The problem is most certainly dust. Follow Mr.@Martell1977 guide on how to clean and the problem will be solved

Solution