Solved! PC Laptop with 56k Modem - what model?

Sep 5, 2019
Hello! I have some legacy software that I used to control a gate on my property that currently runs on a very old Dell laptop running Windows XP. The thing is going to die at some point and I want to make sure I have a cloning and backup situation in place for when that happens.

I want to buy a more modern laptop of some kind. My requirements are that I need to be able to put an SSD in it and it needs a built in 56k modem that will be recognized on a COM port. Thats about it. I don't know much about PC laptops. Google hasn't been much of a help. Anybody know the latest model of a PC laptop out there with a 56k modem onboard?

thanks

Solution
Hello! I have some legacy software that I used to control a gate on my property that currently runs on a very old Dell laptop running Windows XP. The thing is going to die at some point and I want to make sure I have a cloning and backup situation in place for when that happens.

I want to buy a more modern laptop of some kind. My requirements are that I need to be able to put an SSD in it and it needs a built in 56k modem that will be recognized on a COM port. Thats about it. I don't know much about PC laptops. Google hasn't been much of a help. Anybody know the latest model of a PC laptop out there with a 56k modem onboard?

thanks

Only ones may be high end rugged and industrial models. Would be simpler to just get any...

thanks

Only ones may be high end rugged and industrial models. Would be simpler to just get any laptop and then get a USB modem for it. The driver and settings should create a virtual COM port.

May be a good idea to find a newer gate controller, you can only find stuff for so long that will run old software.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS