promicin1

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
I want to know how I can go about to connect a home theater speaker system with my PC sound card. The reason i want to attach a home theater to my existing setup is because I like the option of tallboy speaker over my current speakers and most importantly to have THX Trustudio pro effects and the other enhancements that comes with high end sound cards. This is my current setup:

Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC898
Speakers: Logitech z506

The motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 came with THX basic software but that stopped working after windows 8.1 and ever since I am missing the sweet THX Trustudio effects. The home theater-like sound is now gone and I am using DFX audio enhancer to compensate. Moreover the current room design does not allow for good speaker placement which can be fixed with home theater tallboys. So I was planning to buy a creative sound blaster xi-fi titanium HD and some samsung or LG brand home theater system close to 1000w.

However based on my research I found a few problems, firstly the home theater and the sound card only comes with Left and Right input so how can i have 5.1 surround. Also if i use optical links, i am bypassing the sound card totally so the sound card becomes useless then. I could ditch the sound card and use the s/pdif of my onboard but then I will not get the THX effects as that only comes bundled with the creative sound card. And i read about Dolby Digital Live and DTS Connect Pack but that does not work for onboard audio as well as I am not sure if I will like those effects during music/movies and gaming plus if they are bypassing the sound card then the sound card becomes useless.

So what are my options, I am not able to do online shopping so I am limited to what is available locally.