PC Virus has me on my knees.

Jack_115

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
I [watch your language] up massively. First time in my life. And it's completely [watch your language] me.

Backstory: Downpoaded something I shouldn't be downloading. Disabled my firewall. Restarted firewall. Let firewall do its thing. Restart. [watch your language]!

Pc Specs: I5 4690k, msi -g47. GTX 970. OS = Win 10.

What happens: I boot, resolution is messed up. If I let it boot normally it seems to be working, then suddenly after 30 seconds my monitor automatically switches off. My PC is still working and it seems to be running windows, but no matter what I do it never seems to load.

Okay, so I try to go into my BIOS. The resolution is so messed up that I can't navigate.

I don't mind completely formatting my PC, but I can't do anything.... Please, any help will be appreciated and rewarded once I get back on my pc.

No recovery disk or nothing.

Solution
Wow, that was scary. I fixed it. This time when windows booted and the monitor switched off, I unplugged it and it reconnected and I was on the login. Got back in. performed scans and got rid of the virus. After a shutdown my bios resolution is back to normal and the monitor no longer turns off (Windows boots fine).

I have ran about 5 scans using WIN Defender, AVG and Malwayrrbytes, it looks like I've gotten everything.

Just so people know, this definitely wasn't a hardware problem, the virus definitely effected the hardware though.

Another question...

Should I just fresh install? to be on the safe side?

gergguy

Honorable
Oct 12, 2013
Jack, Do you have access to a different monitor or onboard video? Try plugin' in a different one and see what happens. It sounds to me like you have a hardware problem. I don't think a virus can mess with you just looking at the BIOS.

Jack_115

Commendable
Mar 13, 2016
Wow, that was scary. I fixed it. This time when windows booted and the monitor switched off, I unplugged it and it reconnected and I was on the login. Got back in. performed scans and got rid of the virus. After a shutdown my bios resolution is back to normal and the monitor no longer turns off (Windows boots fine).

I have ran about 5 scans using WIN Defender, AVG and Malwayrrbytes, it looks like I've gotten everything.

Just so people know, this definitely wasn't a hardware problem, the virus definitely effected the hardware though.

Another question...

Should I just fresh install? to be on the safe side?

Solution