pc with virus

taenbolle

Estimable
May 7, 2014
so Norton detected some viruses, and she screaming that really need her 6000 pictures of JB and so.
where to back it up? and how?

<Language please>

Solution
Experience is what you get when things do not happen as you planned.
Your teen just got experience.

If you are lucky, the photos are still good. Some viruses will encrypt them and ask for ransom for the encryption key.
As mentioned, copy them to a usb stick. Photos do not tale much spece, but videos do.

Also, be careful about trying to open the pictures. I recently saw an infection where the contents were not a picture, but a link to a hijacking site. That particular link was embedded in 58 other files.

After protecting your data, do a clean install of windows to be certain.
If you do not have a ssd, this would be an opportune time to convert.
Disconnect the infected hard drive before you install.

taenbolle

Estimable
May 7, 2014

i know but, i dont think teenagers today not think about this... not even adults...

USAFRet

Illustrious

Most people don't think about backups until about 5 minutes after they need one.

But just copy those things elsewhere. Then clean the PC.
Just make sure you don't copy any infected files to this new location.

geofelt

Distinguished
Experience is what you get when things do not happen as you planned.
Your teen just got experience.

If you are lucky, the photos are still good. Some viruses will encrypt them and ask for ransom for the encryption key.
As mentioned, copy them to a usb stick. Photos do not tale much spece, but videos do.

Also, be careful about trying to open the pictures. I recently saw an infection where the contents were not a picture, but a link to a hijacking site. That particular link was embedded in 58 other files.

After protecting your data, do a clean install of windows to be certain.
If you do not have a ssd, this would be an opportune time to convert.
Disconnect the infected hard drive before you install.

Solution