Pc won't recognize router anymore?

david327

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Is it possible for a pc to not recognize the router anymore or vice versa? The last 2 weeks or so my pc will say it's connected to the internet but i actually wont have internet access. It happens randomly throughout the day and i have to reset the router to make it work again. My pc is wired to the router via Ethernet cable, not wireless.

NOTE: When my pc isn't loading anything and thinks it's still connected, all wireless devices still work perfectly fine and don't have an issue. It's only my PC that's wired to the router that has the issue. I've downloaded McAfee anti-virus from Cox that you get for free for having cox ultimate internet. That's the only thing differently I've done in the last month and I noticed the connection problem maybe a week after downloading. I have malware bytes installed, updated network drivers, i also went and bought a new Ethernet card thinking mine was maybe malfunctioning and nothing has fixed this problem. Any suggestions?

david327

Estimable
Mar 16, 2014
Ok I think I have finally found the problem! Internet wasn't working, turned off firewall from McAfee, loaded up fine. turned back on and worked fine as well but steam community doesn't load anything. Turned off firewall, steam community loaded fine, turned on, still doesn't work so it's trying to block everything. After buying new ethernet cards, cables, plugging straight into the modem, updating internet driver software, i have come to conclusion that McAfee is absolute shit and has been the problem all along. Note i got McAfee 1 week before this problem started occurring. So now the question is, how do i completely remove McAfee so there is no trace of this garbage on my PC and is there anything temporary I can use that's a good anti-virus that's free or has a month trial until i can afford to buy something that's nice? Any suggestions? Any comments on if my conclusion sounds fair to you or do you guys think it might be something other then McAfee? Thanks

Note i also have premium Malware bytes, i'm not sure if the premium version works as a true anti-virus or if it only protects from malware? All info would be very appreciated on this and the subject manner above, thank you.

mbarnes86

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hi

Both Norton and McAfee have a product removal tool on their websites which will remove last traces of their products

use after running uninstall from Programs & Features
and rebooting PC

regards

Mike Barnes

TRENDING THREADS