Pc won't recognized headset plugged on keyboard

Biamcs

Estimable
Oct 26, 2014
So, my keyboard has built in usb and headphone/microphone ports. Thing is, when I connect my headset to the the headphone port, my computer doesn't recognize it and I have to change the output manually. Any help? Thanks

Solution
So right now your keyboard has a USB dongle to the USB port on the PC AND 3.5mm Heaphone microphone connected to your PC's sound card? Or is it just only one USB dongle from the keyboard to the USB port on the PC?

Depending on the sound card ADDED software (Realtek, etc.) that may manage that, Windows natively doesn't "switch" automatically unless it detects it plugged into the computer itself (the headphone, mic, USB, etc. port). If there is INCLUDED keyboard driver / application software (check the maker's support webpage and install) then that might also help with recognizing "HEY something got plugged into me, I better pop up my panel and make sure the user wanted to do that".
So right now your keyboard has a USB dongle to the USB port on the PC AND 3.5mm Heaphone microphone connected to your PC's sound card? Or is it just only one USB dongle from the keyboard to the USB port on the PC?

Depending on the sound card ADDED software (Realtek, etc.) that may manage that, Windows natively doesn't "switch" automatically unless it detects it plugged into the computer itself (the headphone, mic, USB, etc. port). If there is INCLUDED keyboard driver / application software (check the maker's support webpage and install) then that might also help with recognizing "HEY something got plugged into me, I better pop up my panel and make sure the user wanted to do that".

Solution

Bo Lee

Estimable
Jun 17, 2015
Taking for granted that you have the proper keyboard drivers installed, you should right click on your sound icon on the task bar and click on playback devices and make sure when the headphones are plugged in that the checkmark is by the headphones. When you plug in headphones, it should switch automatically, but it doesn't always work. But once again, this is contingent on you having the right drivers installed.

Karadjgne

Distinguished
Herald
Quite often you'll have to set playback devices as default. To get my USB headphones to work when plugged in, they are set as default playback device, when they are unplugged, windows falls back on the plugged in pc speakers.