PCWorld: AT&T 3G 67% Faster Than Competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Having the fastest network with the poorest coverage, is like having a car with its wheels missing..............utterly pointless and a waste of space.......

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I'm not buying it. You don't go from last to first place overnight. AT&T's reliability percentage looks particularly suspicious. Although, it does say in the notes that

"Reliability is expressed as the percentage of our one-minute performance tests during which the service was available, uninterrupted, and faster than dial-up speed. "

In other words, they threw out all the data that made AT&T look bad.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
speed is not every thing, I see no mention of ping or packet loss. That's all we need is another luke wilson commercial, Im sure they are working on one as we speak,

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
What about network latency???!!!! Download speed does not mean crap. I would rather have 877 kbps with low latency over 1410 kbps with high latency

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Well if PCWorld didn't screw up the tests and kept the same exact testing environment as they did during the last test, and that is a big IF. I say that this is a good thing. Competition helps and that is what Verizon likely did for AT&T, now it's Verizon's turn. CDMA needs to step up to 4G soon. It's getting to be very slow considering current bandwidth requirements.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]What about network latency???!!!! Download speed does not mean crap. I would rather have 877 kbps with low latency over 1410 kbps with high latency[/citation]
Ditto! Don't forget an available, uninterrupted, and faster than dial-up speed connection too.
Seriously, those are some warped results.

It's like giving me a map of the ground, telling me "this spot here would give you the best landline speeds in the country" and me going "but there is no house here..."

Raishi

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'd have to see where these tests were conducted before the data means anything. If it's the results of one test done in a city where AT&T has unusually good coverage, it's meaningless, when their performance elsewhere is far worse or non-existant.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
How will I find out the capital of Peru without a 1.4 megabit connection on my cellphone? Never mind that I paid attention in my highschool-level world studies classes. HOW!!!!!111one

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I like how people are quick to talk crap about AT&T, if you don't have it why are you talking crap about, if you do have it and hate it drop it and move on, you can keep cellphone numbers between providers.

People were also quick to point out that these test can be misleading and indeed they can be, but the same can be said about Verizon, There is no regulation on speeds for 3g it simply the technology use to provide it.

BTW anything worth doing on the internet should be done on a real connection with a real computer/laptop. Why would I want to download anything on a 1.5mbit connection when I could download it on my home pc at 15mbit.

Glorian:

1. The reason people jump on AT&T is because of their history of bombarding us with misleading ads & having poor customer service.

2. Verizon may have a slower average connection speed, but at least I can access it at 95% of the places I frequent at greater than dialup speeds.

3. Do you expect me to whip out my landline and desktop when I'm in a store browsing for reviews on a product that I may buy? Or how about when using GPS for navigation? Or even... while browsing Youtube while waiting in the car for a pizza to get done? You have a point, but it does not always apply.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]particleman[/nom]Having the fastest network with the poorest coverage, is like having a car with its wheels missing..............utterly pointless and a waste of space.......[/citation]
It's more like having the fastest car that you can only drive on one road.

Status
Not open for further replies.