Pentagon Hacked, But Joint Strike Fighter Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'd be willing to guess that the h4x0rz used the same backdoors that Microsoft leaves for the NSA. I can't help but think if they'd used Linux, that this wouldn't have happened.

G

Makes you wonder how you don't see terabytes of information leaving a network to the outside.. Don't get me wrong I realize its a large federal program with many people working on it but still.. Terabytes of information should of shown up somewhere. Our government seems to be behind on the cyberwar these days.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
scary stuff man... its about time tho that the U.S. steps up the game on internet security and traffic tho.

marokero

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
Great, now we'll have "Made in China" F-22 Raptor knock offs for half the price, but with lead and melamine contaminants ;)

ispyamoose

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Why would the government even connect computers with sensitive data to the web? That's just plain stupid, especially when you know that there are vulnerabilities.

G

China is planning war in the middle east as soon as USA leaves.
I think a lot has to do with their overpopulation and search for newer grounds to get (even) more resources.

Anyone seen China has a military army of over 200 Million heads?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]This time it wasn't the gov't that screwed up.[/citation]
Oh i bet they are getting a stern talking to about security. I think i remember reading that the CIA's usb ports are cemented over to prevent usb vulnerablities lol.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ispyamoose[/nom]Why would the government even connect computers with sensitive data to the web? That's just plain stupid, especially when you know that there are vulnerabilities.[/citation]

Sounds like its a contractors fault, but again, why? I've worked on sensitive (but not secret) projects before, you take measures against this sort of thing.

I want to know how their IT department didn't notice TERABYTES of data being sent outside the network. Even with an OC-192 (10Gbps) backbone that would take a few minutes, considering they probably have a far slower connection, and that data eithre took years to copy or someone wasn't paying attention.

G

"It's only scare tactics, now they can justify it when they give Obama the orders to shut down the net."

@sanctoon

You sir have just hit the preverbal nail on the head. Interesting how these things just seem to work so well together...and happening around the same time period. I just cannot believe our luck to be living in such wonderful times.

ispyamoose

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Sounds like its a contractors fault, but again, why? I've worked on sensitive (but not secret) projects before, you take measures against this sort of thing.I want to know how their IT department didn't notice TERABYTES of data being sent outside the network. Even with an OC-192 (10Gbps) backbone that would take a few minutes, considering they probably have a far slower connection, and that data eithre took years to copy or someone wasn't paying attention.[/citation]

Yeah, not noticing terabytes of data leaving the network is the result of poor management. I agree that it probably took a long time for them to get the data.

zipzoomflyhigh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
The Chinese are getting good at cyber warfare. They want to be able to shut down all out internet/satellite capability, which would render our military useless.

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
What I don't get is how they were stealing TERABYTES. A few here seem to of mentioned that: even if they were on a direct fiber network, it'd still take several minutes to pull half that amount of data. What kind of lax security do we have going here that they could get even a single terabyte?

And this just proves one thing: the US Government needs to stop running Windows.

sacmo

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
zip u are a moron, no offense, but our military would not be useless if that happend kid, lol but nice try on thinking u know what u are talking about.

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
They "traced the breaches back with a "high level of certainty" to known Chinese IPs, and a Pentagon report released in March detailed the progress China was making in online-warfare techniques". So if China is so cyber-advanced, how come they couldn't mask themselves and cover their tracks? Seems sloppy for this level of espionage. Maybe someone else wants China blamed?

The games governments play leave us common folk wondering about everything. One thing is sure. If any government is involved, hang onto your wallet.

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Im sorry bout the goverment would never use a windows based operating system with access to the internet. Theres too many backdoors and exploits for windows to keep any information safe. Im sure they have their own modified version of Unix or something they created themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.