Performance of Dell Inspirion 7577 4K vs PC

Necruss

Estimable
Apr 4, 2015
Dear experts.
I am planning to buy this laptop:
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/cty/pdp/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/dndofs614h

How will it's performance look like according to the regular PC with such components: (i5 4460, GTX 970, 16 GB DDR3)?

I am asking because I am expecting slight increase of performance as there is better CPU and GPU. But my friend, who is kind of hardware geek, warned my, that I should anticipate a little bit worse performance, as the GTX 1060 MaxQ is weaker than regular GTX 970. And the CPU is not important in gaming.

Is he telling the truth?
I will be very grateful for your comments.

PS. Even though there is a 4k screen I am planning to game on FHD. I know that 1060 is not enough for gaming in 4K.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
That very much depends on the game when it comes to CPU requirements. I would argue the opposite on the GPU, a GTX1060 is typically rated nearly as fast as a GTX980, and despite the lower power envelope (80W, vs 120W) I would still think it would outperform a GTX970 under most circumstances.

i7-7700HQ is a nice quad core with hyperthreading. Admittedly at a lower clock rate, but it is a few generations newer than the non hyperthreading desktop i5. Given equal clock speeds, the i7 is likely to be faster (Though how long it can maintain that would likely go in favor of the i5, more thermal headroom)